Discuss Getting up floorboards with no marks? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

The Ghost

As a matter of interest, I was mulling about a tool that could lift floorboards with no marks. I wonder if anyone on here has any method/tool to do so. Having lifted, no doubt, hundreds of floorboards over the years I can certainly get pretty well any board up without breakage. However I cannot see how I could do so without some marking on the adjacent floorboard.
A customer recently picked me up about such marks and thought (maybe correctly) you should be able to do it with no marking. Any thoughts?

put a piece of 3mm steel plate under your crowbar. spreads the load.

As a matter of interest, I was mulling about a tool that could lift floorboards with no marks. I wonder if anyone on here has any method/tool to do so. Having lifted, no doubt, hundreds of floorboards over the years I can certainly get pretty well any board up without breakage. However I cannot see how I could do so without some marking on the adjacent floorboard.
A customer recently picked me up about such marks and thought (maybe correctly) you should be able to do it with no marking. Any thoughts?
Could show you how I do it, but written instructions I doubt it. You will always leave marks no matter what method you adopt.

I use one of my granddad's tools. Very similar to modern lifters but it is approx 4" wide so spreads the load a lot better. Still can mark adjoining boards though, just not as much as what's on sale now.

I use one of my granddad's tools. Very similar to modern lifters but it is approx 4" wide so spreads the load a lot better. Still can mark adjoining boards though, just not as much as what's on sale now.
3 inch bolster is best all these new fangled tools, bolster, hammer 18 inch chisel bar , tenon saw, is all you need.

To be fair to the client I had a rather rough worker with me who despite clear instructions broke a few corners off on the floorboards....doh! But yeh I usually use a four inch bolster and gently out the floorboard but as said above there is no way I can think of to leave no marks. Might try plate steel though that may help. I use a multi-tool to cut the boards, its brilliant, nice thin cut and precise the boards fit back together nicely afterwards.

Other trick that sometimes helps is to punch the nails right through. Then there is the power of positive thinking etc :)

Lump hammer from underneath all the ones that you can but unless you protect the adjacent as Tel says with some 3mm steel or Ali then it's nigh on impossible on the first one.

I always find "lost nailed" boards, especially those nailed with cut/clasp nails, a bu**er, even using a Fein!

It is straight-forward enough to achieve,but whether the average punter would appreciate the time,therefore expense...is another matter.

Get yourself a dedicated ratchet or powered board cutter,with a 0.5mm minor kerked blade,and an accurate depth stop. Get a Bahco nail puller,and some scraps of steel plate,these are used for bracing the heel of the puller,and holding any sprung board up,to view any "issues".

Cut across the mid point of any joist,removing any nails which hamper this. The bahco,with honed jaws,will extract ANY nail,even a buried lost-head,it will leave two small indents,each side of the extracted nail.

The first board lifted,if t&g,will need the tongue cutting,with a sharp knife,keep tight to the edge of the grooved edge,and if the grain guides the blade off course,re-start,or come from the other side.

Do not,run any blade/instrument,below the board,for any further than needed,as you may find more work...

Pit-falls; bear in mind,a lot of older properties,may have cables passing in "non-standard" routes,for example,over joists,under boards yet between nails. I have even seen boards "hollowed" to accommodate groups of cables,especially at door-ways!

Be careful driving nails below boards,with a punch,you may help it reach that pipe,or worse...

If appearance not critical,re-lay using screws,as holes are drilled,and re-lifting is a breeze!

Or, you could just smash the s**t out of the particular floorboard, chuck the remnants in the skip, pop down to your local timber merchants and purchase (at the cost to the customer) a new board(s). :)

PS my biggest abhorrence is chipboard :mad:

Or, you could just smash the s**t out of the particular floorboard, chuck the remnants in the skip, pop down to your local timber merchants and purchase (at the cost to the customer) a new board(s). :)

only problem there is that your new board will be metric short measure, narrower and thinner than original.

p.s. i hate weetabix board also.

Not talking about t&g because the only way is to smash hell out of the groves. Conventional boards lift up more than you need and cut with floor board saw, it is as simple as that.

Not at all, I moved a radiator over xmas and a multi tool on the tongues makes for a very neat job, no damage at all.

...That's your chance of quoting for Shabbington's village dance hall floor,blown...;)

A pal of mine,re-floored his house at Dursingham,Norfolk,in that chip-board nonsense,and fixed them all with smooth 2 1/2" lost-heads...

We stayed there one weekend,and day and night,the ruddy place sounded like a scooby-doo pirate ship :)

Reply to Getting up floorboards with no marks? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock