Discuss Getting Work Part-Time in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

RDB85

-
Trainee
Reaction score
I am after some advice if possible. I am in the process of doing my Level 2 Electrical Course, all being well move onto my Level 3. Do you think it would be possible to get work on the weekends? I am looking to move away from my desk job, and into the trade. I am enjoying it more, and get a greater satisfaction than I do about my desk job. But I know that its hard to initially get any experience. Any advice would be great.

I think there are too many people who just want the weekends to try Electrical work. I think just find a mates job through an agency, jack your desk job and get your head fully into it not part time playing at it

my post was deleted because i misread the OP and made an inappropriate post. ergo, i deleted it.

If you already know it's hard to get your first job with no experience I don't understand why you would make it even harder by restricting the hours you're willing to work to the those most people try to avoid.

As casper says you'd be better off either deciding what you really want to do, or taking whatever electrical work you can get and getting another part time job.

Do some work for friends family etc at a reduced rate to cover your membership and insurance, ask questions, be prepared to sacrifice time for learning on the job. Act professional from the start and don't take on to much work!!!

So far it seems to me they can't put enough hurdles in front of becoming an electrician.

Oh you have a level 3 city and guilds, you will also be needing an nvq level 3 which you can only do if you're working in the trade. Oh, your working in the trade? How when you don't have an AM2 and gold card?

I'm getting pretty pist off so far looking for a starter job let me tell you!

#rant over#

Electrician Mate
Caval Ltd - Ellesmere Port
1 X ELECTRICIANS MATE. CAVAL ARE LOOKING FOR ELECTRICIANSMATES IN THE ELLESMERE PORT AREA FOR AN IMMEDIATE START. CONTRACT - 2/3 MONTHS....
Easily apply to this job
16-Jul

i posted that with OP in mind, he's in Liverpool.
That looks quite good. I will take a look. I think as I have passed my Level 2 exam, I have the rest of that still to do, then I am looking to do the Level 3, The part-time work was more for experience and a portfolio of work.

It is what I am looking to go into full-time, I just need to get my qualifications.

So far it seems to me they can't put enough hurdles in front of becoming an electrician.

Oh you have a level 3 city and guilds, you will also be needing an nvq level 3 which you can only do if you're working in the trade. Oh, your working in the trade? How when you don't have an AM2 and gold card?

I'm getting pretty pist off so far looking for a starter job let me tell you!

#rant over#

I understand what you mean, we were discussing this on the course I attend. They said that it all comes down to who you work for. But you are right, it seems they are adding in more hurdles.

Reply to Getting Work Part-Time in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net