Discuss GFCI sockets - test and reset functionality in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

BFM

-
Reaction score
Hi folks. Please excuse my complete ignorance and go easy on me :)

I recently got some electrical work done including an external double power socket installed behind the garage. I understand this to be a GFCI plug as it has "Test" and "Rest" functions on the plug.

I plugged in a small radio and turned it on. All fine. When I clicked on the "Test" button it cut power just fine however, it trips the entire garage. My question is, should it do this? When I click on the "Reset" button it doesn't do anything because the entire garage has tripped. I don't understand what purpose the reset button does if, every time I press the "Test" button it just trips the garage.

I just assumed it would cut power to the plug (and not the entire garage) and that pressing the reset button would restore the power. Am I missing something obvious here? Or has my wife been right all these years - I really am a tw*t?

as above.it's an RCD socket. youmust have a RCD further upstream. when you apply a fault to the outside socket (test button), that fault is transmitted to the upstream RCD which may trip as they will both be the same mA rating. the solution is to replace the outside socket with a non-RCD one. simple job, but if unsure get a local spark to sort it for you.

As above, several times, RCD upstream with no discrimination.

You could try not pressing the test button all the time - you now know that it works, if you run over the mower cable it’ll trip the socket or the house as well BUT you’ll still be alive to reset it yourself although your wife may call you a T**t for running over the cable.
As above said, you didn’t need the RCD socket as the circuit is protected - you just have to walk further now!

It’s unfortunate that you cannot remove the upstream RCD.
Having the test button at the point of utilisation is to my mind much better than having it at a remote location.

but look on the bright side. if the outside RCD fails to trip on an earth fault, the upstream one will do. belt and braces. :mad:

Surely the test button on the RCD socket applies the test Load L - Supply N, like the test button on a standard RCD? This does not cause leakage as far as the upstream RCD is concerned, and should not trip it. Can anyone confirm/deny whether any of these sockets actually create leakage to earth during test? If this one is not supposed to, there might be an N-E fault.

Many test circuits operate by allowing a resistive load to pass between the load side of the Line conductor and the supply side of the neutral conductor.
This should not affect upstream devices.
However some test circuits operate by allowing the resistive load to pass to earth.
This would affect upstream devices.

Reply to GFCI sockets - test and reset functionality in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock