Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Glanding SWA into plastic CCU? Domestic in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Smudge

Smudge Electrician's Arms

What are peoples opinions on...

Coming from a metal wylex 80A sw/fuse in a 25mm SWA to feed a plastic consumer unit? A slight differnce of opinion on site this morning!! I'm thinking the consumer unit should be metal cased, although another spark doesn't see why, other than the strength of the board to support the gland. The armour will be earthed at the switch fuse end, and its a 3 core armour for Live, Neutral and earth.

Am i being over cautious? Or are we both talking absolute mince?!?!

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    or a metal adaptable box under the CU. gland into that and leave tails long enough to go through into CU.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Plonker 3

Plonker 3 Guest

Nothing wrong with doing that, as long as you remember to earth the armourings at, at least one end. As long as it is cleated correctly there shouldn't be a problem with the strength of the gland into the DB.

4. mogga

mogga Just me Electrician's Arms

earthing nuts are great for this BUT finding an area on the C.U. capable of taking a gland is the problem id forsee as tixyLix says galv box n tails to C.u

5. Welchyboy

Welchyboy Guest

if you dont wanna/cant fit a galv adaptable box between cable and CU i would just bolt the banjo to the cu like normal and use an earth tail (belt n braces?), as long as the cable is supported properly thats fine

6. Amp David

Amp David Trusted Advisor

With it being 25mm, i'd gland it into a metal box first as don't think you have much plastic left around the gland once it had been cut for the gland to enter.

Have in the past glanded 10mm and less into plastic enclosures, but just made sure any strain was taken up by the clleats

7. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    and make sure the hole at the top of the metal box is fitted with grommet strip or a bush and nut.

8. Smudge

Smudge Electrician's Arms

i think a metal adaptable box is prob the best solution. Looks like we were both right in our own ways...shame, cause the loser had to buy todays gregs...