Discuss Glow worm 30cxi thermostat wiring in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

BigSpark

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi ive not wired up many boilers before but am trying to learn at the minute as its one thing im really not sure about.

Im having issues wiring a glow worm 30 cxi to a Drayton rts8 thermostat. The boiler fires up when i link out the volt free terminals so i know the boiler is ok. But i cannot get it to fire up off of the thermostat.
At the moment there is a 3 core flex comming from the sfcu to the stat and then a 5 core from stat to boiler. The line and neutral from sfcu are in the terminals marked L and N in the stat and are commond up with Line and Neutral to the boiler in 5 core. The other two cores are to the volt free terminals at the boiler. This is the bit that im not sure of, it doesn't matter what combination i connect the volt free cores to it cant get the boiler to fire up off of the stat. Ive tried both in terminal marked 2,one in 2 and one in 3 . Both in 3. Ive seen on the instructions to put one core in the L and other in 2 and this hasnt worked either. As these are volt free terminnals im very weary and dont want to keep trying and create an issue.
Any help would be appreciated

The thermostat instructions say they are compatible with boilers with 24V to 230V switching and you are trying to connect it to a volt free contact in the boiler. You could try choc blocking the live and neutral connections through and connecting one side of the volt free contact to L in the thermostat and connecting the other side of the volt free contact to number 2 in the thermostat and see if it works. If it doesn't remove the link from the volt free contacts and connect the boiler up using the 230V switching terminal in the boiler. To do this you would have to put the live and neutral back in to the live and neutral terminals in the thermostat and connect number 3 to the 230V switching terminal/plug in the boiler. Page 27&28 of the manual

https://www.glow-worm.co.uk/glow-worm/cxi-range-157150.pdf

Glow worm 30cxi thermostat wiring IMG_0522 - EletriciansForums.net

Glow worm 30cxi thermostat wiring IMG_0523 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Thanks lee. I will try that method. I dont usually touch boiler electrics but i thought i would try and learn, another string to the bow and all that. Proving alot more difficult than i thought. Appreciate the help

Thanks everone, all sorted. It was the line and neutral feed in and out that was the issuse as i was using the L and N terminals on the stat as feed in feed out terminals. Once they were nicely choc blocked up Like leesparkykent suggested i put one wire from the volt free terminals in L and the othet in 3 and job done fired up on the termostat.
Thanks BigSpark

Reply to Glow worm 30cxi thermostat wiring in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock