Discuss Going from a single switch to a double switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have two ceiling lights with a single switch that turns them on together
The two blacks are joined together and not connected to the switch, the yellow/greens are connected to a screw, and the two reds, one is connected to common, the other to L1

Now I have this two switch new socket, with 2 commons, two OneWay and two TwoWay

How do i connect the wires to the new switch ?

Cheers

Are you saying you now have a switch that as 2 separate switches on it

10A-2-Gang-Switch-S012-S013-.jpg

I assume you now want to switch the lights on independently? Doesn't sound like you can do that with your wiring set up, your light must be looped from one to the other instead of both wired to the switch separately.

That is exactly the switch i bought... and I want to be able to turn them on independently...Are you saying that they are now looped together and that is why I cannot use the new switch ?

if you want to switch the 2 lights independently, it will require a certain amount of rewiring. from your post, i suggest calling a local electrician. this is not a job for someone without the knowledge and skills to do it safely. saving a few quid could end up costing you lives or your home.

Unfortunately the lads have it spot on. To switch the lights on independently you will have to rewire the circuit. That mean finding the cable that goes from the switch to the first fitting, and then from that fitting to the other.

You will need to run another cable from your switch and make the first fitting into a junction box, because you seem to have the neutrals at your switch.

You can go onto Wiki and see how it is done, but in all honesty it's relatively simple job for an electrician and quite cheap, but it will mean a little redecoration after for you

Reply to Going from a single switch to a double switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net