Discuss Going self-employed as a domestic electrician in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

20al

-
Reaction score
  1. Going self-employed as a domestic electrician {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
    20alActive EF Member
    Hello everyone, I need some advice. I am a 61 year old apprentice served electrician. I have been " in the game for 45 years ". Mostly I have been employed by companies in the commercial and industrial side. After arecent illness and a lot of thought I've decided I don't want to work for anyone else ever again ! With the children grown up and the ex elsewhere I don't need to earn as much as many others ( although I won't be doing work on the cheap, undercutting other sparks ). I can get by changing lightfittings, extra sockets, showers for Mrs Jones, cash jobs ( which I willdeclare to HMRC ). The biggest job I intend doing would be a consumer unit change over maybe even the odd rewire in an empty house. My question is, do I need to get part P or similar ? I have not got a test qualification or 17th ed regs, I gave up after 16 ! As I mentioned I am time served spark, JIB Approved and consider myself competent. Thank you for reading this thread.

20al, 26 minutes agoReportBookmark
    #1+ QuoteReply

you would need to join the likes of niceic, elecsa, napit or stroma to do notifiable work under part p of the building regs. download the part p doc.from planning portal.gov.uk .this will tell you what work is notifiable. in enland, it's new circuits, CU changes, and any work in special locations. e.g. bathrooms. other wise, stick to no-notifiable work. definitely just do the smaller jobs to start with.

17th is an open book exam ie you take the book with the answers in with you. Its basically just to see if you can reference the book.I managed to book an exam only at Leeds college most want you to do a short course.

After arecent illness and a lot of thought I've decided I don't want to work for anyone else ever again !
You will be working for the customer,but you can pick and choose them.
Good luck hope it goes well and come back and let us know how thing are shaping up etc.

Reply to Going self-employed as a domestic electrician in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock