Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Good drill and driver in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. gazdkw82

gazdkw82 Trainee Trainee Access

I'm looking at replacing my ryobi drill and driver for something more professional/better quality and durable.

I'm looking at brushless and ideally a drill and driver combi but happy with just the right drill for now.

Iv looked at some of the makita ones and some of the Milwaukee ones but there's a lot of choice.

Can you recommend any? My budget is £200

2. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

I like Dewalt, but whatever floats your boat. Whichever manufacturer you go with, stick with them, saves on batteries :)

3. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
  4. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
  5. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

When buying cordless tools, its best to settle on one make so the batteries are interchangeable...

I've got Dewalt and recently bought one of these to replace one that some scumbag relieved me of!

Dewalt DCD996M2 18v XR 3 Speed Brushless Combi Hammer Drill - Includes 2 x 4.0ah Batteries, Charger, Tstak Case | Buyaparcel - https://www.buyaparcel.com/p/cordless-combi-drills-drivers/dewalt-dcd996m2-18v-xr-3-speed-brushless-combi-hammer-drill-includes-2-x-4-0ah-batteries-charger-tstak-case/

Decent bit of kit and a spare battery is essential - its over your budget, but buy once and buy wisely..

• Like Like x 1
  6. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

I have been a Hilti devotee,for years,but other marques can be more than adequate.
    Erbauer seem a strange one,as they are at the very cheap end,but the kit i have used,seems really good.
    Can only speak regarding the individual items,but i got a reciprocating saw,for a "one-off" destruction-job,cutting through 12 steel pivot pins,25mm dia a piece,using a mixture of Makita and Starrett blades - it loved it,and 2 years on,it gets all the "Dirty Harry" jobs...cracking yoke :)

Some of the big shed electrical tools,are poor,with lads accepting that swaps will occur through the longer-than-lifespan warranty period.

The other confuser,is manufacturers can have a really good model,then the same up-dated model is pants,so one man's meat...etc

Standardising your fleet,with regard to batteries,is a good idea,but can harness you,to tools in a range,which are not up to the standard of each other.

I remember seeing the first cordless Makitas,9.6V i think,with long,black batteries and a 3/8" chuck...and thinking...everyone's gonna want one of these...:confused:

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. HandySparks

HandySparks Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Neish Electrical Services
    Definitely choose the 'system' first. Take a look at the range of tools available from the different manufacturers. I chose to buy into the Makita 18V LXT range a few years ago and haven't regretted it. I now have quite a few assorted tools, all running off the same batteries. (Combi drill, impact driver, circ saw, multitool, SDS drills, chainsaw, etc.)

If I was buying another drill today, I might go for the DHP459. (The DHP453 is more at the DIY end of the range.) It's not the most powerful, but the ones with the most torque are also the biggest and heaviest.
    Makita DHP459SFE 18V 3.0Ah Li-Ion LXT Brushless Cordless Combi Drill - http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dhp459sfe-18v-3-0ah-li-ion-lxt-brushless-cordless-combi-drill/6407p

For a combi drill / impact driver set, this would be worth considering:
    http://www.toolstop.co.uk/makita-dl...-18v-dhp482-dtd152-2-x-3.0ah-batteries-p78878
    but it's not brushless.

Brushless kit worth a look:
    Makita DLX2180TJ 18v Brushless 2 Piece Kit (2x5Ah) | Fastfix - http://www.fastfix.co.uk/makita-dlx2180tj-18v-brushless-2-piece-kit.html

I don't use an impact driver much, but obviously it'll depend on the sort of work you're doing.

8. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services
    I have found the Erbauer stuff quite good of late and screwfix who own the brand do a good impact driver and drill combi set for a good price. it has held its own against my previous makita stuff.
    When i looked into the make up of the tools i found that a lot of the big brands use exactly the same motors and batteries as some of the erbauer stuff, its simply put in a different plastic case and you pay for the brand. this is true for the cheaper dewalt and makita stuff you see in band q, screwfix etc... less so with the much more expensive stuff in the premium makes ranges.
    If you buy from screwfix take some proof of trading stuff in such as letter head, invoices etc.. and they give you an electricfix account instead of retail one and you will get 10% off your next order too. could save a nice lump of cash.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Midwest

I find the cordless Erbauer carp. I've got a garage full of devices (well combi drill & circular saw), and a load of duff batteries.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. haptism

haptism Regular EF Member

11. hightower

hightower Electrician's Arms

Makita was what my uncle used and I have to say 'me likey'. However, being on a limited budget, my gear is all Erbauer and have to say I'm very impressed with it, especially for the price.

Think I've got a full set of Erbauer gear now, drill, tech gun, circular saw, multi tool, radio. Only issue I've had since owning it is my multi tool failed after about 6 months (hard) use - took it to Screwfix and they replaced it there and then, no questions asked.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Midwest

Wanna buying some rusting dusty combi's :)

13. Rpa07

Rpa07 2000 posts - only 46379 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    My old hitachi 12v went to the WEEE skip as it was so outdated. Built my back deck with 3 of the same drills and 4 batteries, most donated! Wouldn't stand up to the grief I give them now.
    All my stuff is secondhand due to tight budget but I have had some cracking deals.

14. gazdkw82

15. Rpa07

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    It's funny, I've got an 18v Bosch impact with my Drill but can't get a round to using it as the 10.8v Bosch impact is a stunning little tool that'll get in most small spaces.
    I've always liked the look of the eubaeur stuff, if it as good as members have cracked it up to be then I'd say that's the way to go. Also as Hightower said about returning stuff - no quibble! Last thing you want is a quibble!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Midwest

Screwfix sell some of the other makes as well. And Dewalt for example offer a limited 3 year warranty on their products. Doesn't always pay to get the cheapest, and bear in mind what others have said about the size of the batteries.

17. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    can't go wrong with that. i have the circ.saw and although a bit less powerful than alternatives, it's no trouble up to 40mm wood/weetabix board. battery lasts well.

18. HandySparks

Business Name:
    Looks like a good budget option. Just be aware that the choice of tools will be more limited than with the mainstream brands.

19. hightower

Now now, I never used the term 'quibble', that sounds like some western country talk that does. I can't understand a word yum saying ow bis.

Down your neck of the woods at the end of the month, well, Somerset.

20. Rpa07

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    I'll warn them! End of the month you say?
    How's school HT? Finished year 10 yet?
    Edit- decided year 10 was funnier than 3 then decided neither were but committed!

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. gazdkw82

For this range specifically or for erbauer overall?

22. Rocboni

Rocboni Trainee Access

MILWAUKEE! I love the stuff if you can stretch to it. It just feels like quality, and the drill has that much power you have to be real carefully with it or it will throw you off you steps or smack you in the face!

I've tried all budget level models in most brands but finally bit the bullet and bought the top of the range milwaukee, and now have the grinders, SDS, radio, impact and drill with 7 batteries. Oh and the multitool!

Milwaukee M18FPD-502M Combi Drill 18v 5Ah - https://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk/milwaukee-m18fpd-502x-combi-drill.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6t_OjebK1QIVhrftCh14GQG3EAQYAiABEgKJmfD_BwE

Milwaukee M18FPP2A-502X Power Tool Kit 18v 5Ah - https://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk/power-tools-dewalt-bosch-milwaukee-evolution-makita/cordless-power-tools-drill-drivers-combi-drills-impact-drivers-angle-grinders-impact-wrenches/cordless-power-tool-kits-18v-power-tool-kits-10-8v-power-tool-kits/milwaukee-m18fpp2a-502x-pow.html

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  23. Rpa07

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    "be real carefully with it or it will throw you off you steps or smack you in the face!"
    Tell us about that moment @Rocboni@Rocboni as IT OBVIOUSLY happened!
    And 7 batteries - respect!

24. Rocboni

Rocboni Trainee Access

When the drill comes it has a rather large handle which is about 500mm long that clips on, all I'm saying is I understand what it's for now, one black eye later!

I'm lucky if I run down 2 never mind the 7 I have, not all 5Ah though, just 4 of them! 2x 4Ah and one 3Ah for the radio.

• Like Like x 1
  25. gazdkw82

Yeh iv heard really good things about the milwaukee stuff but it's out my price range for now

26. Rocboni

Rocboni Trainee Access

Save up for it!

• Like Like x 1
  27. Rocboni

Rocboni Trainee Access

I have to admit, I had an erbauer drill and it was ok for the cost until I started to abuse it, putting in tek screws and using large holesaws and drill bits, as I was doing a lot of industrial work , think the gearbox was on its way out so took it back for a refund or credit i for I remember right.

You just have to accept its limits for what it is, don't fall for the sales crap though, they think giving it a German name makes people think quality and it must be made in Germany, its Chinese built but does seem better than most. It is aimed at the DIY market though and the name seems to work, it did with me at first!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  28. 123

123 Electrician's Arms

What I'd recommend doing before spending any money at the start - go out and get a feel of the tools you are thinking of buying. I found the Milwaukee Impact driver very cumbersome and bulky, others like it. It could be super performer but if you don't like the feel of it then move elsewhere.

If you like several, worth looking ahead - what price for bare units of likes of sds drill, grinder or other potential tools. And what price batteries. Erbauer with just Screwfix to supply those look a bit expensive. 2.0Ah is pretty lame these days, I throw those in the torch and the radio.

• Like Like x 1
  29. gazdkw82

This my sound a daft question but where can you get a good selection of drills/drivers out to try?

30. hightower

Sound so like cheap tat, even budget drills have clutches nowadays

31. Rpa07

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    Site or any workmates you know - worth a try. Just don't walk out of sight!

32. WillWX

WillWX Active EF Member

I agree with 123, try a few if you can, I wanted Milwaukee but ended up not liking them and tried Makita and really liked it.

I now have battery sds, circular saw, multi tool, impact, drill, led light. Love all of them!

• Like Like x 1
  33. Phil Thompson

Phil Thompson Let us light up your life! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Brite Spark Electrical
    As 123 said, try before you buy, I did plenty of online reviews and it came down to Milwaukee or Dewalt, they were rated the best in almost every test going that I found, the Milwaukee combi drill was the only thing that outpowered the dewalt in 1 test, a 32mm auger through 9 inches on hardwood. I'd never do that so was of no benefit to me really.

I settled on the dewalt as I found the Milwaukee stuff very heavy, especially working overhead or using up ladders etc.

The combi drill I have is this one,
    Couldn't fault it, I use it with the 6ah flexvolt batteries myself. And always use a dade debris collector when drilling above your head, stops the crap getting into the drill casing.

Good luck with whatever you go for.

34. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

Stick with the ryobi tools that you have until they're dead, and in the mean time save the pennies to get better drills when that happens.

If they last another 6 months the you might find something better is available by then than what is currently on the market.

Personally I favour Makita for my cordless tools, but I can't say that they are any better or worse than the likes of dewalt and Milwaukee. I think a lot of what you hear will just be brand snobbery for no reason.

Have a look at a guy called AvE on YouTube, he does some good, no nonsense, reviews of tools and stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  35. static zap

static zap Regular EF Member

What is it with some of these brands ,
    So trendy they look like Nike trainers ,
    and make me feel dyslexic attempting to spell them
    ..the plug -- ERBAUER --
    Some with lights -usefull ,at times .
    (had enought problems with Citroen -- driven them)
    Bosch - Germany the alternative to china .
    (Booze consumed=1 tinny , I'm out of practice )
    As always Bat size matters !

36. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

Having a clutch doesn't stop it having the ability to break your wrist, otherwise it'd never manage to drill holes in tougher materials.

• Like Like x 2
  37. gazdkw82

My ryobi drill is pretty much dead. The chuck is about ready to fall off and the batteries don't last half the time they use to. It's only really a diy drill that iv used a lot so it's done it's duty, especially as I purchased it second hand aswell!

That dewalt looks a real good option. It's my birthday in 4 weeks hence why I'm looking now. There's no point in waiting as I need a new drill and my birthday is coming up.

38. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    brushless makita @ screwfix £169.

39. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

40. gazdkw82

I like the look of the dewalt but that's only on first glance. It also slightly cheaper than the makita.

What is the range called on both? I'd assume they both have numerous other compatible items which can share batteries?

41. WillWX

WillWX Active EF Member

If you're local to a TBS builders merchant, you should pop in, they're selling off all their older Makita stock very cheap, my boss picked up an impact driver, charger and battery for £115. They're doing some cracking deals.

42. HandySparks

Business Name:
    I don't really know the Erbauer range, although I do have one of their mains planers, which has been OK for the small amount of use I have for it. I get the impression that they're really a Screwfix own brand.

Just did a search on Screwfix for "Erbauer 18V":
    Erbauer 18v - Search Results | Screwfix.com - http://www.screwfix.com/search?search=erbauer+18V

Then found a supplier with a good range of Makita:
    Makita 18v Cordless Tools | Powertool World - http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/brands/makita/makita-18v?limit=all

Just compare the two. If you might want some of the more obscure tools, then plan ahead, so that you can use the same batteries in all your tools. That said, I do have some Makita 10.8V stuff, which is smaller and lighter, and can be a better tool in some situations.

43. Phil Thompson

Phil Thompson Let us light up your life! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Brite Spark Electrical
    The XR range is the Dewalt stuff.

I have the combi drill, impact, sds, multi tool, circular saw, angle drill and led floodlight, 2x5.0ah 18v batteries and 4x6.0ah 18v/2.0ah 54v flexvolt batteries.

44. gazdkw82

I'm guessing with that level of equipment you are happy with the quality/workmanship and feel?

45. 123

123 Electrician's Arms

• Funny Funny x 1