Discuss Good drill and driver in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
I'm looking at replacing my ryobi drill and driver for something more professional/better quality and durable.

I'm looking at brushless and ideally a drill and driver combi but happy with just the right drill for now.

Iv looked at some of the makita ones and some of the Milwaukee ones but there's a lot of choice.

Can you recommend any? My budget is £200

Makita DHP453SFEW 18V 3.0Ah Li-Ion LXT Cordless Combi Drill - http://www.screwflix..com/p/makita-dhp453sfew-18v-3-0ah-li-ion-lxt-cordless-combi-drill/2290j

http://www.screwflix..com/p/erbauer...ess-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/3611r

When buying cordless tools, its best to settle on one make so the batteries are interchangeable...

I've got Dewalt and recently bought one of these to replace one that some scumbag relieved me of!

Dewalt DCD996M2 18v XR 3 Speed Brushless Combi Hammer Drill - Includes 2 x 4.0ah Batteries, Charger, Tstak Case | Buyaparcel - https://www.buyaparcel.com/p/cordless-combi-drills-drivers/dewalt-dcd996m2-18v-xr-3-speed-brushless-combi-hammer-drill-includes-2-x-4-0ah-batteries-charger-tstak-case/

Decent bit of kit and a spare battery is essential - its over your budget, but buy once and buy wisely..

I have been a Hilti devotee,for years,but other marques can be more than adequate.
Erbauer seem a strange one,as they are at the very cheap end,but the kit i have used,seems really good.
Can only speak regarding the individual items,but i got a reciprocating saw,for a "one-off" destruction-job,cutting through 12 steel pivot pins,25mm dia a piece,using a mixture of Makita and Starrett blades - it loved it,and 2 years on,it gets all the "Dirty Harry" jobs...cracking yoke :)

Some of the big shed electrical tools,are poor,with lads accepting that swaps will occur through the longer-than-lifespan warranty period.

The other confuser,is manufacturers can have a really good model,then the same up-dated model is pants,so one man's meat...etc

Standardising your fleet,with regard to batteries,is a good idea,but can harness you,to tools in a range,which are not up to the standard of each other.

I remember seeing the first cordless Makitas,9.6V i think,with long,black batteries and a 3/8" chuck...and thinking...everyone's gonna want one of these...:confused:

Definitely choose the 'system' first. Take a look at the range of tools available from the different manufacturers. I chose to buy into the Makita 18V LXT range a few years ago and haven't regretted it. I now have quite a few assorted tools, all running off the same batteries. (Combi drill, impact driver, circ saw, multitool, SDS drills, chainsaw, etc.)

If I was buying another drill today, I might go for the DHP459. (The DHP453 is more at the DIY end of the range.) It's not the most powerful, but the ones with the most torque are also the biggest and heaviest.
Makita DHP459SFE 18V 3.0Ah Li-Ion LXT Brushless Cordless Combi Drill - http://www.screwflix..com/p/makita-dhp459sfe-18v-3-0ah-li-ion-lxt-brushless-cordless-combi-drill/6407p

For a combi drill / impact driver set, this would be worth considering:
http://www.toolstop.co.uk/makita-dl...-18v-dhp482-dtd152-2-x-3.0ah-batteries-p78878
but it's not brushless.

Brushless kit worth a look:
Makita DLX2180TJ 18v Brushless 2 Piece Kit (2x5Ah) | Fastfix - http://www.fastfix.co.uk/makita-dlx2180tj-18v-brushless-2-piece-kit.html

I don't use an impact driver much, but obviously it'll depend on the sort of work you're doing.

I have found the Erbauer stuff quite good of late and screwfix who own the brand do a good impact driver and drill combi set for a good price. it has held its own against my previous makita stuff.
When i looked into the make up of the tools i found that a lot of the big brands use exactly the same motors and batteries as some of the erbauer stuff, its simply put in a different plastic case and you pay for the brand. this is true for the cheaper dewalt and makita stuff you see in band q, screwfix etc... less so with the much more expensive stuff in the premium makes ranges.
If you buy from screwfix take some proof of trading stuff in such as letter head, invoices etc.. and they give you an electricfix account instead of retail one and you will get 10% off your next order too. could save a nice lump of cash.

I find the cordless Erbauer carp. I've got a garage full of devices (well combi drill & circular saw), and a load of duff batteries.

Makita was what my uncle used and I have to say 'me likey'. However, being on a limited budget, my gear is all Erbauer and have to say I'm very impressed with it, especially for the price.

Think I've got a full set of Erbauer gear now, drill, tech gun, circular saw, multi tool, radio. Only issue I've had since owning it is my multi tool failed after about 6 months (hard) use - took it to Screwfix and they replaced it there and then, no questions asked.

Makita was what my uncle used and I have to say 'me likey'. However, being on a limited budget, my gear is all Erbauer and have to say I'm very impressed with it, especially for the price.

Think I've got a full set of Erbauer gear now, drill, tech gun, circular saw, multi tool, radio. Only issue I've had since owning it is my multi tool failed after about 6 months (hard) use - took it to Screwfix and they replaced it there and then, no questions asked.

Wanna buying some rusting dusty combi's :)

My old hitachi 12v went to the WEEE skip as it was so outdated. Built my back deck with 3 of the same drills and 4 batteries, most donated! Wouldn't stand up to the grief I give them now.
All my stuff is secondhand due to tight budget but I have had some cracking deals.

I like the look of the erbauer stuff and interesting to know they share the same components as some of the more "professional" ones.

This looks a good set and is on the list for defo

Erbauer ERI716KIT 18V 2.0Ah Li-Ion Brushless Cordless Combi Drill & Impact Driver Twin Pack - http://www.screwflix..com/p/erbauer-eri716kit-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-brushless-cordless-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/3611r

It's funny, I've got an 18v Bosch impact with my Drill but can't get a round to using it as the 10.8v Bosch impact is a stunning little tool that'll get in most small spaces.
I've always liked the look of the eubaeur stuff, if it as good as members have cracked it up to be then I'd say that's the way to go. Also as Hightower said about returning stuff - no quibble! Last thing you want is a quibble!

I like the look of the erbauer stuff and interesting to know they share the same components as some of the more "professional" ones.

Erbauer ERI716KIT 18V 2.0Ah Li-Ion Brushless Cordless Combi Drill & Impact Driver Twin Pack - http://www.screwflix..com/p/erbauer-eri716kit-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-brushless-cordless-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/3611r

Screwfix sell some of the other makes as well. And Dewalt for example offer a limited 3 year warranty on their products. Doesn't always pay to get the cheapest, and bear in mind what others have said about the size of the batteries.

can't go wrong with that. i have the circ.saw and although a bit less powerful than alternatives, it's no trouble up to 40mm wood/weetabix board. battery lasts well.

Looks like a good budget option. Just be aware that the choice of tools will be more limited than with the mainstream brands.

Also as Hightower said about returning stuff - no quibble! Last thing you want is a quibble!

Now now, I never used the term 'quibble', that sounds like some western country talk that does. I can't understand a word yum saying ow bis.

Down your neck of the woods at the end of the month, well, Somerset.

Now now, I never used the term 'quibble', that sounds like some western country talk that does. I can't understand a word yum saying ow bis.

Down your neck of the woods at the end of the month, well, Somerset.
I'll warn them! End of the month you say?
How's school HT? Finished year 10 yet?
Edit- decided year 10 was funnier than 3 then decided neither were but committed!

Reply to Good drill and driver in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock