Discuss good practice or should it be compulsory in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

MG201

-
Reaction score
the fitting of a small emergency light above or near consumer units especially where it is located in areas such as small dark cupboards or under a stair case ? this is both for ind and dom cases, im not talking about a massive fitting just enough to illuminate area if needed. any thoughts on this matter greatly appreciated , was thinking of asking for this to be done this as standard in all installations, ps before any cheeky comments im not a spark im a site manager so obviously i will never have the skills and knowledge of a professional spark , although at times i wonder from some of the so called sparks that appear on sites

the fitting of a small emergency light above or near consumer units especially where it is located in areas such as small dark cupboards or under a stair case ? this is both for ind and dom cases, im not talking about a massive fitting just enough to illuminate area if needed. any thoughts on this matter greatly appreciated , was thinking of asking for this to be done this as standard in all installations, ps before any cheeky comments im not a spark im a site manager so obviously i will never have the skills and knowledge of a professional spark , although at times i wonder from some of the so called sparks that appear on sites
I once came across a metal Cu in germany that looked white but was actually sprayed with glow in the dark paint! only realised as as there was a power cut and used the torch on my phone to see if it had tripped in the flat, hadn't so then looked outside and all was dark. but a nice green glow in the cupboard!

Certainly in an industrial environment and probably also commercial - it just seems like common sense.
I fitted an LED emergency bulkhead at home but it failed after about 2 years, not sure when exactly because probably like most homeowners I couldn't be arsed with testing it.

I did an EICR on a property today where there was a light in the cupboard under the stairs containing the service head and CU; I was planning to move it because it appeared to be fed from a spur off the ring final which the tenant was fine with because she never used it (it didn't even have a bulb in it) and kept a torch in there instead.

It turned out to be the other way around - some clown had put a socket on the lighting circuit.

In a domestic setting it's a nice idea but most older people seem happy to keep a torch near the CU and most younger people to use the torch on their phone. I think an emergency light would only confuse them.

There was one a new A3 CU that feature small led lights built into it, illuminating on a power failure. Can't recall the make or model.

Was some shitey make I wouldn't touch as I recall. I think it lit on lid lifting.
I have never seen em lighting at DBs not specified on commercial jobs, and I always recommend it for domestic.

I have been arguing with a subbie on a site . He says its ok to fit a plastic board as the housing scheme was all designed in 2015 even though phase 2 has all metal boards. He has bought or acquired 110 of these cu and thinks he can use them on site. Lol now I'm just waiting to see what corners he will try cut to recoup the £ he has lost on these boards. Why and how he gets any of the work I dont know he has a secret handshake is my guess. Any way i suggested the light to him as located in cupboard under stair ( cu issue even worse ) and thought it would be a present safety feature we could use ( pride on our product and all that )

For non-domestic there is a requirement to provide emergency lighting at DBs and similar panels.

For domestic it would rarely, if ever, be properly maintained and so be unlikely to work when it is needed.
There are many people who will remove the battery from smoke alarm and not bother to replace it and that could save their life, so what are the chances of them bothering to maintain an emergency light?

I have been arguing with a subbie on a site . He says its ok to fit a plastic board as the housing scheme was all designed in 2015 even though phase 2 has all metal boards.

If the installation was designed before that particular regulation came in to effect then he is correct, he should be installing in accordance with the regulations it was designed to. If you wish to make a change to that design then it would likely be a chargeable extra/variation

Perhaps its an idea - but part of the CU for domestic - that should be consider for the 18th 1st Amendment. Lets face it, they've considered AFDD's and earth rods up the ying yang.

Incidentally davesparks unlike you to refer to a regulation, without a reg no' :)

If the installation was designed before that particular regulation came in to effect then he is correct, he should be installing in accordance with the regulations it was designed to. If you wish to make a change to that design then it would likely be a chargeable extra/variation
Yes he is right but as he never got the work till Jan this year he is at it

What do you mean by ‘never got the work till jan’?
Do you mean he was asked to start the design in January or that he was given the work in January having completed the design at some time prior to that?

What do you mean by ‘never got the work till jan’?
Do you mean he was asked to start the design in January or that he was given the work in January having completed the design at some time prior to that?
He was not involved with previous phase. It was another subbies that done that. Since they went under he has been taken on to provide the electrical package for this phase. ( long story from what I can gather its his brothers company that went bust and basicly handed him the works.. a lot of secret hand shakes going on )

Reply to good practice or should it be compulsory in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net