Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Good shoe covers - review in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. happyhippydad

happyhippydad Member Electrician's Arms

For years I have been using the standard, disposable blue overlay shoe covers. They do the job, but they are a right pain.

1. They get ripped easily.
    2. Pain to take on and off as you're always going in and out of the house.
    3. Even if your organised and have them in the same place in the van they still fall out everywhere.

So.. I splashed out on these..

MukGuard Overshoes Size 7-8 - https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Workwear+%26+Safety/d70/Socks+%26+Overshoes/sd3248/MukGuard+Overshoes/p19744?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhuCBx4i32gIVD5ztCh1Vpwj3EAAYASAAEgIjSvD_BwE

1. I just hang them up in the van so they are easy to grab.
    2. They have a handy holding bit on the end which makes putting on/off easy. They just slip on/off.
    3. They actually stay on securely when they are on.
    4. I know they are expensive, and they may actually cost more than the equivalent of blue shoes you use, but I think that's outweighed by the ease of use.
    5. I bought size 11-12 and my shoe size is 10. I find they fit well, perhaps the 9-10 would be ok as well but I don't know.

The only thing I can't comment on so far is longevity/durability. I've had them for a month and they're fine but I'll report back in 6 months or so with an update.

I know it's just an overlay shoe, but I am really happy with them.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
  2. Rob

Rob Trusted Advisor

It's the little details like this that make you seem more professional. As it's something the customer can see. They don't see the neatly run cables and terminations once the covers are on.

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. Rpa07

Rpa07 2000 posts - only 46379 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    Good review but I have 92 (46 visits unless I hop!) overshoes in bright blue to get through first - I’ll let you know!

• Like Like x 2
  4. NDG Elecs

NDG Elecs Electrician's Arms

I normally use some dust sheets near the door area if it's wet outside and sheets also where I am working. I also usually take my shoes off whilst in the house itself. I would be paranoid that the 'posh' over shoes in your link would still allow some mud to squeeze through onto an expensive cream carpet!! They do look the business tho Happy.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Risteard

Risteard Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Walsh Electrical Services
    Personally there is no way on earth that I would remove essential PPE whilst working.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Can you get PPE slippers?

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. sparksfly

sparksfly Regular EF Member

I have been using CleanBoot for years, I think someone sold them on ebay years ago. They are durable and plenty of customers commented on how professional they look. The grippy soles are white so will not stay that for long, I use a hand wipe to clean them. I have to watch what sort of shoe/boot I wear as the rugged shoe can hinder putting on/off. Probably last me approx 1.5/2 years on average....and no I dont sell these.
    The CleanBoot Overshoes - http://www.thecleanbootuk.com/

8. sparksfly

sparksfly Regular EF Member

Actually just checked my emails ...it was 6/2016 for my current pair and the toe area is just wearing a bit now but still grippy...worth it. 2012 was my first pair.:)

9. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    i got loads of them cheap blue ones in the van, that you throw away, didnt buy them, a job i got called to had already had the nice flooring put in, and I had a box thrown at me, so rather than take a pair i took the box...

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. NDG Elecs

NDG Elecs Electrician's Arms

I hear what you are saying, and in certain circumstances I wouldn't. But I think the worst thing that has dropped on my foot to date is an overdunked hobnob!
    I am happy to remove shoes if I know the work is not anything heavy duty- say changing a light fitting or replacing a few socket faces..

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Martyn Fletcher

Martyn Fletcher Regular EF Member

This thread reminded me of something I saw on FB a while back...

Might look for a UK supplier and give them a spin.
    If they're no good I can terrorize the dog by snapping them on her head. :D

Found these too... (Albeit rather expensive at £44)...

• Winner Winner x 2
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  12. Martyn Fletcher

T
    As the old saying goes "There's always a first time."
    Good luck. ;)

13. essex

essex Regular EF Member

Does your risk assessment see carpets as a hazard that needs control measures in place?

14. Rpa07

Rpa07 2000 posts - only 46379 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    I do take my slippers to some jobs - obviously I will know the people or else it would be weird!

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. Martyn Fletcher

I did a job for a friend and as I arrived I thrust my pint sized tea mug into his chest. Don't think I'd get away with that with any other customers.
    But I think even he would have thought it strange had I then put my slippers on. :D

• Like Like x 2