Discuss Got my C&G in Portable Appliance testing today... Info and advice on testers please in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Chris Ward

Hi folks,

I passed my C&G Portable Appliance testing today. Another string to the bow so to speak. I Have only ever done appliance testing as an employee when I used to work for people, so this is my first step into the PAT world alone.

Im looking at PAT equipment now, trying to decide the best way to go about it. I have no PAT jobs yet, but I want to get some kit & get accustomed to it.

Im looking at the following test 'kits' from Test -Meter.co.uk

Metrel GammaPAT MI3311 - Without software but lots of accessories

Metrel GammaPAT Lite MI3311 Testing Kit 2

and

Metrel GammaPAT MI3311 - With software and lots of accessories

Metrel GammaPAT Pro MI3311 Testing Kit 1

Now from what im led to beleive, the tester just requires the software & USB cable in order to enable the download function on it, so I could get the top kit & then upgrade to the downloadable version at a later date. Anyone know how much the USB & Software are seperately? I cant see me using the full download capabilities straight away. Or is it something that incredibly handy?

Has anyone got any 'hands on' experience with this tester?

Also, whats the 'going rate' per appliance nowadays? Ive heard its incredibly cheap, but want to be competative.

Cheers for any advice guys.

Re: Got my C&G in Portable Appliance testing today... Info and advice on testers plea

I use the Meg Pat 320 on the few occasions I do PAT, usually for existing clients. It does all the tests but doesn't log any results. If you are doing any more than a little PAT I would recommend a unit with software, barcode scanner and printer whatever brand you like.

Re: Got my C&G in Portable Appliance testing today... Info and advice on testers plea

How good are the battery operated PAT machines?

Do the batteries last long enough to do a full dyas testing?

Hi Guys,

Chris - I was just about to reply to your post and I've seen that you placed an order, so thanks very much for that, I hope you're happy with the Pro Kit.

Dillb - As a rule of thumb, if you were to charge a battery powered PAT tester overnight, you would get around days work from that single charge. Battery powered units are ideal if you're having to crawl under desks to test 'desktop' PC's for example, purely due to portability ...

I have done lots of pat and i wont go past the seaward range .If you want a mains powered machine either the europa or the supernova (built in 110v) or the primetest 300 or 350 for a battery machine .I would not take on a machine that could not download the results as the advantages far far out weigh the slight additional cost.

Thanks for the replys folks.

Yes, went for the Gamma PAT Pro kit with the download function. Cant wait for it to arrive now, as im going to test every appliance in the house.... As you do.

Congratulations Chris, Well done on passing your PAT exam.

Reply to Got my C&G in Portable Appliance testing today... Info and advice on testers please in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net