Discuss Gov announce no new petrol or diesel post 2040 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Cheers for the input,but it is not "pollution free"...not if it has been constructed with processed plastic,metals,paint,glues,fabric,oils and greases,and uses or requires electric charging generated by conventional means. Let us not forget the decommissioning of the several battery packs it should use during it's life cycle...then the vehicle itself....

In truth,the only truly pollution free part,is the travelling done,in between charges...if it does not leak any oil from it's gearbox :)

surely that's the important part... Due to the fact it kills people and wildlife? and it doesnt have a gearbox, so no leaks.. batteries etc are recycled, our lungs arent.

Peg makes a very good point that is often overlooked in my opinion. These electric vehicles are not quite as pollution free as they are made out to be - I saw one the other day that had a "0% pollution" badge on it, what rubbish! And the batteries are full of really nasty chemicals that will have to be disposed of somehow?? The thing that makes me titter though, is the fact that apparently, 72% of motorway "breakdowns" are Burks running out of fuel. Can you imagine what it's going to be like when they have to charge the car every time? We will need at least 2 hard shoulders.

Peg makes a very good point that is often overlooked in my opinion. These electric vehicles are not quite as pollution free as they are made out to be - I saw one the other day that had a "0% pollution" badge on it, what rubbish! And the batteries are full of really nasty chemicals that will have to be disposed of somehow?? The thing that makes me titter though, is the fact that apparently, 72% of motorway "breakdowns" are Burks running out of fuel. Can you imagine what it's going to be like when they have to charge the car every time? We will need at least 2 hard shoulders.

Jes', your back sparksburnout. Better dig out my copy of Oxford Dictionary :eek:

surely that's the important part... Due to the fact it kills people and wildlife? and it doesnt have a gearbox, so no leaks.. batteries etc are recycled, our lungs arent.

Hi dude,i apologise,i should have said,if it leaks any oil from it's four mode single speed automatic gearbox...which it is fitted with :)

I'm not having a pop...just proving how easy these eco-myths are formed.

I do not doubt that at some stage,you were told,or lead to believe,it had no gearbox...it sounds kind of understandable,but drive-trains,regenerative braking,hill start assist,etc all require a means of transmission.

It is the same story when folk are told,there is no pollution.

A slightly more thorough investigation,reveals the full story :)

Producing Lithium cells puts out far more harmful gasses into the environment than producing and running an normal petrol car. Coupled with the fact they need replacing quite often. (I'm not exactly sure if my memory is correct here, but I'm sure I read a 7 year lifespan.)

Even catalytic converters produce more pollution in manufacture than they save from the cars output over a 20 year life.

Guess what though, both are not made in this country. So who cares...

Is it not the point to remove pollution from our towns and city's , I do agree that with electric vehicle you are not preventing pollution its just going elsewhere .
I was walking past a taxi rank the other day, all had there engines running and I found it very unpleasant and thought this can't be good for my lungs
So in summery if we get all electric vehicles the planet will still be destroyed but we will be able to breathe fresh air in our towns and city's until it does.

Well at some point (well past my sell by), we'll run out of fossil fuels and will be needing some other form of sustainable fuel (got my money on plutonium-powered nuclear fission reactor).

Ps Feeling a bit uneasy with my multiple use of well, will etc, sparksburnout and all that :)

Is it not the point to remove pollution from our towns and city's , I do agree that with electric vehicle you are not preventing pollution its just going elsewhere .
I was walking past a taxi rank the other day, all had there engines running and I found it very unpleasant and thought this can't be good for my lungs
So in summery if we get all electric vehicles the planet will still be destroyed but we will be able to breathe fresh air in our towns and city's until it does.
I personally find it quite irritating when people just sit in their cars and leave the engine running, often for no obvious reason. I bet this alone causes loads of totally unnecessary pollution.

I personally find it quite irritating when people just sit in their cars and leave the engine running, often for no obvious reason. I bet this alone causes loads of totally unnecessary pollution.

Thing is, if you turn you engine off at the lights, don't get it right timing wise, this can cause everyone else to wait while you restart, trees to dying the world over; unless you have auto stop-start, like her indoors car has. I try and replicate it with me derv van, but me timings not good (think me spellings good to go?)

Got stop start on my van , problem is with the air con and mini fridge on in the summer or the electric seats on in the winter the engine has to keep running to keep me at the correct temperature :) . I'm on about these selfish people who haven't got these luxury's and keep their engines on when I'm walking past:D

Reply to Gov announce no new petrol or diesel post 2040 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock