Discuss Government backs mandatory EICR's every 5 years for landlords. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Long overdue............................

The Government has backed introducing a mandatory requirement on landlords with properties in England to ensure that electrical installations in their property are inspected every five years.

However, it has not provided a start date.

Such a proposal has been recommended by several working groups of industry bodies, the most recent at the end of last year.

Housing Secretary James Brokenshire yesterday announced plans for the mandatory checks to be introduced alongside the launch of a separate consultation on building regulations following a review by Dame Judith Hackitt in the aftermath of the Grenfell fire tragedy.

Brokenshire said: “There is nothing more important than ensuring people are safe in their own homes.

“That is why I am announcing a package of measures focused on improving building safety, having listened carefully to the concerns which have been raised.”

Responding to the announcement, Phil Buckle, director general of charity Electrical Safety First, said: “We are delighted the Government has finally recognised the importance of regular electrical checks in the private rental sector which protects both tenants and landlords.

“Electrical Safety First has led the charge for this to be made a legal requirement for UK homes and successfully lobbied for these to be introduced in the PRS in Scotland – with Wales and Northern Ireland set to follow suit.

“Our campaign for the introduction of these checks has been supported by 71% of MPs, from all parties.”

Fire safety: clarification of statutory guidance (Approved Document B) - https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/fire-safety-clarification-of-statutory-guidance-approved-document-b

That's all very well as long as the EICR is done properly not just getting some readings and filling in N/A actually inspecting not just ticking the box then the objectives that are being tried to achieve in this legislation are being met.
I think we can already guess that there will be no legislation regarding the specifics of the inspection and that council officials will not be checking the content of the reports, merely that they have been done, or have been reported to have been done.

My local council and surrounding areas enforce unsatisfactory reports if they are made aware. Tenants have to speak out, you can't do nothing and expect something to happen.
It needs to be made a requirement of Section 21 like Gas certificates are. If this is the case landlords have a vested interest in getting work done. Simples...........

They enforce all repairs up here too, as you say they have to be reported first. The Landlords get a defined period of time to comply; if they don't the Council has the repairs done and bill the landlord.

Ps. In fairness most of the repairs needed are caused by tenants in the first place.

Last edited:
I did about 15 EICRs for a landlord back in march. All unsatisfactory. They called this week to ask me to replace a kitchen light in one of the properties. I asked if they had considered any remedial work yet. They admitted they hadn't as they hadn't even looked at the reports I emailed them. I asked them to check whether their landlord insurance would cover them now the reports have been issued and issues identified.
I think they thought that paying for a report was their only consideration. It was the first time these properties had been tested in probably 40 years or more.

Had a survey recently from NICEIC asking views on a register of approved eicr inspectors. ie must have 2391, 2394/5 etc and no doubt the NICEIC are putting themselves forward to administer it and charge a extra bit of money to put your firm on the register. only those on the register would be allowed legally to do an eicr and insurance and qualifications would be verified...
Kind of fits with what the government are suggesting

I did about 15 EICR. It was the first time these properties had been tested in probably 40 years or more.
That about sums it up , not touched since they were bought .
I think most of them must not look at them and think it is a certificate , not a report.
I always tell them they are not fit for continued use if that is the case.

That about sums it up , not touched since they were bought .
I think most of them must not look at them and think it is a certificate , not a report.
I always tell them they are not fit for continued use if that is the case.
To be fair to them, the property manager who ordered the work is now in another position and it was the new property manager who called me. Something could have got lost in the transition ..... I made it clear in the emails and on the phone to the previous manager though that the properties were not considered safe for continued use and work needed done.

Had a survey recently from NICEIC asking views on a register of approved eicr inspectors. ie must have 2391, 2394/5 etc and no doubt the NICEIC are putting themselves forward to administer it and charge a extra bit of money to put your firm on the register. only those on the register would be allowed legally to do an eicr and insurance and qualifications would be verified...
Kind of fits with what the government are suggesting
Problem there is that many people who hold those qualifications should not be doing Periodics so that plan is immediately flawed.

Our local mp (lib dems) is trying to team up with labour to bring a law in where every rented property has a designated person / licence holder who is responsible for repairs, ensuring compliance ie gas safe/ electrics etc and is listed on a public register as point of contact in event of problems. they would be the person responsible for obtaining and acting on an eicr. much like the hmo system around here. i think it will come in after the grenfell tower report as when i spoke to her she said this will be when things become more regulated.
So if the responsible person doesnt not get a eicr or does not put things right when highlighted then they would be prosecuted.

Maybe all houses need to have periodic checks carried out, like a car needs an MOT so just not in rentals, if you don't have the certs they treble your council tax, should be popular.

Our local mp (lib dems) is trying to team up with labour to bring a law in where every rented property has a designated person / licence holder who is responsible for repairs, ensuring compliance ie gas safe/ electrics etc and is listed on a public register as point of contact in event of problems. they would be the person responsible for obtaining and acting on an eicr. much like the hmo system around here. i think it will come in after the grenfell tower report as when i spoke to her she said this will be when things become more regulated.
So if the responsible person doesnt not get a eicr or does not put things right when highlighted then they would be prosecuted.

I remember when the rent control act came in and a load of people dumped rental properties on to the market, house prices went down rents went up and what was bought in, short term lets on a 6 month contract to protect the LL.

If landlords costs are increased then it just gets passed on to the renter as I have seen this in the past, as a lot of properties in the private sector are now rented out to the council to house the poor/peasants then at the end of the day it will come out of your taxes/council tax and whilst you are at work they will be breaking in to your van to steal your tools.

I did an EICR on a rental. To say the least it was shocking.

The tenants only concern was if the required works got remedied at high expence.then her rent would go up.

It justified a nearly full rewire.

Her rent was rediculiusly low because the place was a dump, but the tennant was happy with that.

Reply to Government backs mandatory EICR's every 5 years for landlords. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net