Discuss Grade A LD2 fire alarm advise in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been asked to install a Grade A LD2 fire alarm for a customer of mine. This has been specified by the council.
It is a standard 3 bed house with bedroom up top in the loft conversion (making it 3 floors), bathroom, kitchen and lounge. My customer is ok with the system having to have a control panel but really doesn't want call points. Am in right in thinking if the council would agree too a Grade B LD2 I could install with no call points? They have told her to get a quote on both, if B is significantly cheaper then A! Any help would be really appreciated. Cheers.

Can't understand, why the council would insist on this type of install, is it a house of multiple occupancy?

Sorry mate should have mentioned that! Yes it is. Girl in one room, bloke in one room and couple in the other. I'll post a copy of the letter from council now.

Grade A LD2 fire alarm advise 20170906_182157 - EletriciansForums.net

that looks contradictory. LD2 can be interlinked detectors as per BS5839 without installing a Grade A system.

IET Forums - Grade A LD2 fire detection - http://www.------.org/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=205&threadid=31026

This is What's putting doubt in my mind. I can cover all rooms and circulation areas with interlinked mains back up, even put a locate, silence and test switch in. But then the grade A bit stops me in my tracks. I've asked to chat to the council who I gather have do e their risk assement and come up with the requirement, but they haven't got back.

you need to get clarification here first as there will be a great difference in cost.

As Pete has asked is this a domestic house, HMO the regulations would be different.As for the comment regarding call points you can't just pick and choose which regulation to comply with.

I replied it's a HMO, bloke in one room, woman in one room and a couple in the other room. All share lounge, kitchen and Bathroom. I understand regulation choosing isn't a thing. The customer approached the council after I told her there would be call points, central control etc. I dont quite understand how they have put themselves in a position of being able to say "well get a quote for one with out call points" and we will decide. If This type of property requires what it requires by regulation, then that's it. Although I do think it's overkill for This property.

Sorry mate should have mentioned that! Yes it is. Girl in one room, bloke in one room and couple in the other. I'll post a copy of the letter from council now.
HMO shared accommodation.
rented rooms .may be your customer thought they could get away with it !

Grade A means it has to be installed in compliance with BS5839:1. HMOs are a somewhat grey area which hover between domestic and commercial and I believe manual call points are not a requirement.

The house next to ours has been turned into HMO they had to change doors to fire doors, fire blanket in kitchen and mains with battery back up smoke/heat detectors in each bedroom ,kitchen, lounge and circulation areas no call points.

No it is not a requirement, Grade A requires automatic detection in circulation / escape routes and rooms of high risk along with a control panel.

The house next to ours has been turned into HMO they had to change doors to fire doors, fire blanket in kitchen and mains with battery back up smoke/heat detectors in each bedroom ,kitchen, lounge and circulation areas no call points.

Sorry mate. So is theirs mains with integral battery back up to each device ie the aico Ei146.

think if you pshed it, you'd be able to fit mains interlinked detectors. no control panel. that'd bloody overkill.

think if you pshed it, you'd be able to fit mains interlinked detectors. no control panel. that'd bloody overkill.

Going by the letter from council that's kind of what they say, then they throw a curv ball by writing grade A. If you go by 5839 part1 and 6 and look at the property, then it's grade A. Someone else has said install grade D to the bedrooms, lounge and kitchen and grade A to landings etc, to me that would be for self contained flats. Thinking of just subbing the alarm out and doing the board and emg lighting myself, lot less hassle.

Reply to Grade A LD2 fire alarm advise in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock