Discuss Green black Green grey Cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

CRAGS

Anybody ever coma across this just started rewire there is green black and green grey cable only quickly had a look so not had chance see where its going or coming from or what its connected to in the consumer unit ???

Anybody ever coma across this just started rewire there is green black and green grey cable only quickly had a look so not had chance see where its going or coming from or what its connected to in the consumer unit ???
I'm not being cheeky but I can't for the life of me decipher what you mean by green black and green grey. Could you explain it a little better please?

Hi bud,your pre-DB fit tests,will identify this circuit,and maybe,the suitability of continued use of this cable.
Be nice to hear what it was :)

Could be singles plus cpc used this type yonks ago, but the cpc was not insulated it was inside the grey sheath, bet its the lighting circuit

Intially my thoughts as well lighting circuit and cpc also thought it could have been to do with 2 way lighting but I have ruled that one out will double check today it looks like it is coming up from the board like that

Yip it'll be lighting, I saw this quite often in a certain area whilst testing local authority houses. In that case though it was only both live cables run in singles without CPC. They'll be aluminium core or coated copper also I'll bet.

Extra could be exactly what you say "phase colours" but remember sometimes the Black and Grey were the outer sheathing colours (as in twin and earth" I still can recall wiring houses back in the 70s with exactly that type of cable, your call was a good one though, the more I think about it the more I think my theory is the right one, can the OP open up the CU or wherever these cables go and get the answer? the plot thickens, where is Poirot when you need him?

Could be wide of mark because I have never seen mains cables with a coloured stripe on them, I have with speaker cables though?
Could be right about the black single West but the grey? I'm sure that green showing is a cpc insulated, lets hope the OP comes back with more detail, otherwise it's pure speculation.

Could be right about the black single West but the grey? I'm sure that green showing is a cpc insulated, lets hope the OP comes back with more detail, otherwise it's pure speculation.
Been looking at this on and off all day, if you can enlarge his first picture the green on the grey cable is a stripe, it doesn't cover it all. When did green become green/yellow because he says it dates to 1977. Speaker wires have a stripe down one side to identify the cores because they are bare beneath the sheath, mains wiring is not apart from the bare cpc.

Last edited:
How would that score on an EICR with the separates not being contained with a CPC for the length of its run? Obviously T+E support the regulation but this would not.

Reply to Green black Green grey Cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net