Discuss Greetings from New Zealand in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Taking a long planned 5 week holiday to visit wife's family over here.
Its December, and the temperature here is expected to reach 22 degree Celsius. A small chance of rain today.

The shops are belting out "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow" when they have no idea what the stuff is.

So far, I haven't seen any "dodgy" looking electrical standards, but if I do, i'll post them up on here.

Enjoy yourself. Just to help you appreciate it you'll be glad to know it was -4 here in the Borders on Saturday night!
here was about -1. no doubt in the south-east it was shirtsleeves and sun tan time.

opps.just realised, southern softies can't survive if it's below 30 degrees c.

opps.just realised, southern softies can't survive if it's below 30 degrees c.

Born in North London and I am the only guy on site wearing a T-shirt this time of year, must be due to my northern heritage, did my IPAF 3a 3b today and there was a scottish guy in full thermals whinging about the cold. My grandmother in Liverpool area, bless her, would put on the the heating to max whenever we visited and ask if it was warm enough and I'd sit there sweating my ---- off and thanking her and saying it was fine

I know it was -4 in the Scottish borders;- my next door neighbours pipes burst. house is ruined. Spending xmas in a B&B.
Of course, I offered they could use my house while i'm away. Kinda glad I left my heating on as normal.
Based in Nelson, South island... but had a few days away at Hamner Springs. Natural sulphur pools. Water at around 40 degrees....
Took a jet boat trip down the river but stopped short of doing the bungee jump.

Who'd have thunk it. Not only does New Zealand have electric.. they also have standards to which electricians out there adhere to.
So, no, there isn't anything overly dodgy out there that we can laugh at.
Saying that... I took photos.

IMG_4435.JPG
Typical distribution board for domestic house. A mix of 40 year old fuses and MCBs. The switch on bottom left is the mainswitch. The smaller enclosed DB is for a kitchen rewire from a few years ago. This is located outside... so its a walk out in the elements to reset a breaker.
IMG_4431.JPG IMG_4430.JPG
One of the original sockets that was kept from the kitchen rewire. Unswitched single socket. The 2 smaller holes below are for TV aerial of the past. They use co-ax now.
All back boxes are the same dimensions for double sockets, single sockets and light switches. Can be mounted horizontally or vertically. Modern double sockets can have a third switch which is used as an isolator for sockets behind appliances.

IMG_4176.JPG

What to do with that spare refridgerator?

Who'd have thunk it. Not only does New Zealand have electric.. they also have standards to which electricians out there adhere to.
So, no, there isn't anything overly dodgy out there that we can laugh at.
Saying that... I took photos.

View attachment 40565
Typical distribution board for domestic house. A mix of 40 year old fuses and MCBs. The switch on bottom left is the mainswitch. The smaller enclosed DB is for a kitchen rewire from a few years ago. This is located outside... so its a walk out in the elements to reset a breaker.
View attachment 40564 View attachment 40566
One of the original sockets that was kept from the kitchen rewire. Unswitched single socket. The 2 smaller holes below are for TV aerial of the past. They use co-ax now.
All back boxes are the same dimensions for double sockets, single sockets and light switches. Can be mounted horizontally or vertically. Modern double sockets can have a third switch which is used as an isolator for sockets behind appliances.

View attachment 40563

What to do with that spare refridgerator?
proper man fridge that.

Reply to Greetings from New Zealand in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net