Discuss Grid switches for kitchen appliances in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Brianinlondon

In various forums I've seen it said that multiple kitchen appliances can be controlled via (unfused) grid switches located above the worktop, the grid switches being wired directly into the kitchen ring and leading to unswitched sockets where the appliance is appropriately fused.
Is this OK or would each circuit be considered a separate unfused spur? The ring is protected by a 30mA RCD.
Thanks for your views.

Well 30mA won't hold to much, what size is the cb? out of interest should be 32 A

depending on the load of the appliances, it's sometimes advantageous to install a 4mm radial dedicated to the appliances. feed to the grid switches in 4mm, then 2.5mm to each appliance.

the theory is that the plug fuse would protect the 2.5mm cable from overload, whereas the 30A in the DB gives short circuit protection

In various forums I've seen it said that multiple kitchen appliances can be controlled via (unfused) grid switches located above the worktop, the grid switches being wired directly into the kitchen ring and leading to unswitched sockets where the appliance is appropriately fused.
Is this OK or would each circuit be considered a separate unfused spur? The ring is protected by a 30mA RCD.
Thanks for your views.

A common misconception is that the BS fuse in plug tops and FCU's are there to protect appliances, they are NOT!! The function of these HRC fuses are to protect the leads and cords of the connected appliances etc. If an appliance needs overload protection, then it should be provided by the manufacturer, not by an external replaceable cartridge fuse, of various ratings....

in theory its nothing different to a couple of spurs taken off a ring. nothing wrong when some common sense has been used.

Reply to Grid switches for kitchen appliances in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net