Discuss Grid Switches for Outside Light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I've recently moved house and having some work done to the existing utility room. In the process of removing tiles a sfcu (part of the ring main) has been damaged and needs replaced (it's cracked), this switch is connected to an outside security light. I was just going to buy a replacement switch and simply swap them over and put the correct fuse in (is 5a ok for a 120W light?), however the Mrs would like another light put in near the back door (not on a PIR) that can simply be switched on and off.

My initial idea was to put in another sfcu as part of the ring and connect this to the new light and just have it next to the other but it maybe won't look the best. So I've been looking at the grid switches as a possible solution and just wanted some advice as I've never used them before.

If I wanted to replicate having 2 sfcu am I correct in thinking I will need 2 13a fuse modules with the correct amp fuses and 2 one way switches and the relevant face plate and back box? I would then connect the supply to the fuse then the fuse to the switch with the cable then going to the light? Does that sound ok?

Thanks

to do fused spur configuration you will need two fuse modules and two DP (double pole switches).
Switching for both Live and Neutral.
Comes handy when theres some maintenance to do on the lights or when they got wet and start to trip the circuit.

Thanks for the replies, one fuse and two switches would definitely look better so if that's acceptable I think I'll go down that route.

As as for the switches are these ok?

MK 13A Fuse Unit Grid Module White | Grid Wiring | NoLinkingToThis
MK 1-Way 20A DP Grid Switch White | Grid Wiring | NoLinkingToThis

Thanks again.

looked at click minigrid now, never seen them before, time to try them soon looks like a neat solution.
i like adding a 3 position switch (on-off-on) to select if light goes manually on or controlled on PIR (when theres an external sensor available).

explaining the manual override (off/on/off/on or something in couple of seconds) to customers usually does not work.

looked at click minigrid now, never seen them before, time to try them soon looks like a neat solution.
i like adding a 3 position switch (on-off-on) to select if light goes manually on or controlled on PIR (when theres an external sensor available).

explaining the manual override (off/on/off/on or something in couple of seconds) to customers usually does not work.

Good bit of kit is click...i use it as standard as you can swap modules about so you can have a 2way switch and Intermediate on the same plate without it looking any different to the other 2gang switches. I think I read a post on here not so long ago that mentioned you can also do this with the Hager accessories but not 100% sure as no one seems to stock it near me.

Hi, I ordered the switches at weekend and they arrived today however I'm a bit confused with the Fuse module as I expected a Neutral terminal (probably wrongly after looking at the current fcu). I thought I had the wiring clear in my head but would someone mind just confirming how this should be connected please?

Thanks
image.jpg

Reply to Grid Switches for Outside Light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net