Discuss Grid switches in Kitchens in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Midwest

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I know this has been asked before, but was a while ago, so just wondered what members views are now.
Over the weekend, me and the missus had an exciting time looking at some show houses. Yep we live right on the raggedy edge.
Any hows, I noticed all the developers, used one bank of grid switches to control the appliances, dishwasher, washing machine etc in the kitchen. I understand the idea of having the switches in one place, but I'm not sure it looked any better than one DP switch somewhere above the worktop, per appliances.
I suppose the designer would use grids to ensure easier compliance with Part M. Also noticed the use of a larger grid style plate in living rooms, to house a couple of sockets, telephone, broadband connection etc. But it was about 300mm square, and rather distracted from the flock wall paper. So what's your thoughts?

which brand were they using? did couple of kitchen grids, and terminating anything else than lighting cables in those switches is a right pain. Especially 2.5 t+e. MK is the worst, tried also ced from toolstation, same crap.

Last edited:
They can look OK in the right setting but can easily get too busy. Last kitchen I did I counted up and would have needed a plate bigger than my on site guide once all the appliance modules and light switches were incorporated. I didn't fancy making all that off and thought it would look a mess so all the appliance controls ended up in a cupboard.

BG nexus is OK, and Click minigrid is nice to work with but not everyone's cup of tea to look at.

Couldn't see what make, looked a cheap brand. Seems to be a common fad, my eldest has got similar in his new flat. Looks a bit bulky to me, bit like Tels switches!

Have seen a myriad of ways to approach that issue,but in truth,panel builders don't use t&e,for good reason...

The OP uses the phrase "control",but unless you can affect timers,dimmers,or alter other parameters,we are talking "isolation".

If you were isolating one machine,you would be operating one switch,wherever that was located,and if you needed them all off,then you could do that from one location also...the DB.

I reckon Star-trek had a big influence on many of the designs out there,but the kitchen can be a busy enough area,without inserting a dash-board from Concord :pirate:

A very nice dude,at the last Ideal Home Expo,i visited,tried in vain,to convince me i needed a Wi-fi home automation system,where shutting the curtains,could be achieved from 300 miles away...

I told him i could text me sister,and do it that way...or leave a post-it on the fridge,to remind myself...

The result? ....no sale :stooge_curly:

A very nice dude,at the last Ideal Home Expo,i visited,tried in vain,to convince me i needed a Wi-fi home automation system,where shutting the curtains,could be achieved from 300 miles away...

I told him i could text me sister,and do it that way...or leave a post-it on the fridge,to remind myself...

The result? ....no sale :stooge_curly:

You're missing the point. When you are on your luxury yacht away from home you can fool people into thinking you are still in...... I'm surprised the guy didn't try and sell you a mannequin that you can glue to one of those wireless floor cleaners as well.... :)

which brand were they using? did couple of kitchen grids, and terminating anything else than lighting cables in those switches is a right pain. Especially 2.5 t+e. MK is the worst, tried also ced from toolstation, same crap.
Here's a pic of the ones I saw. Don't have a pic of the living room one's, but they were plan ugly.
IMG_0821.jpg

You're missing the point. When you are on your luxury yacht away from home you can fool people into thinking you are still in...... I'm surprised the guy didn't try and sell you a mannequin that you can glue to one of those wireless floor cleaners as well.... :)

...Or as i like to call her,"my missus" :smug2:

When I first saw the Hager sollysta module things I though it was a great Idea, Then we had to install a similar grid to control kitchen appliances, Trying to get a few 2.5mm's, 4mm's and possibly even a impossible. The idea sounds nice, But practically it's no better than having SFCU's dotted around imo.

I know this has been asked before, but was a while ago, so just wondered what members views are now.
Over the weekend, me and the missus had an exciting time looking at some show houses. Yep we live right on the raggedy edge.
Any hows, I noticed all the developers, used one bank of grid switches to control the appliances, dishwasher, washing machine etc in the kitchen. I understand the idea of having the switches in one place, but I'm not sure it looked any better than one DP switch somewhere above the worktop, per appliances.
I suppose the designer would use grids to ensure easier compliance with Part M. Also noticed the use of a larger grid style plate in living rooms, to house a couple of sockets, telephone, broadband connection etc. But it was about 300mm square, and rather distracted from the flock wall paper. So what's your thoughts?
I like super grids, a good idea IMO.

Never done grids in a kitchen myself, I can see the reasoning on a new build, and I suppose switching/isolation is in one place. I just wonder what its like, as others have mentioned, fitting in all the cables etc?
The pic I posted, even with a deep 47mm box, must be a bit tight?

Last edited:
I have installed 100s of these grid type systems and honestly their a piece of cake to install. All you need is technique and a 47mm deep shaver box. The best and easiest brand is deta followed by hager. Their a thing of the future inmho.

Reply to Grid switches in Kitchens in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net