Discuss GS38 Compliant voltage indicator recomendations. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have a T110. The RCD trip function has never worked. Now neither does the continuity or self test functions. There are recognised problems with the T series from Fluke. Steer clear.

Mines ok, trusty little device; wouldn't use the RCD function, got an MFT for that. Continuity works fine, for what it is, the only self test function I use, is the safe isolation procedure. Its a VOLTAGE TESTER :D

Ignore what ^^^^ he said IMO

PS, again I state, in the few years I have had it, it has never ever, not once, not even in blue moon, not in a million years tripped an RCD, when testing for voltage, i.e. is something safely isolated. :)

had it for years mate. little filament bulb glows, the higher the volts, the brighter. if the bulb has failed, a neon lights up instead.

The main purpose of this for me as mentioned in original post is for safe isolation. Continuity confirmation will be nice to trace out circuits quickly / simple fault finding as Andy mentions.

Given the above, I don't know if I can justify the cost of the T150 fluke though.

Looking for something reliable and durable.

Why do you want the T150?

I also have the T110. It's good. Yes it's primarily a voltage tester, but you can also remotely 'isolate' a circuit by intentionally tripping an RCD by holding down both buttons while testing between live and CPC (I realise it should also be locked off so let us assume the switch room is locked). You can then use it to test for dead before carrying out work, which when you need it is a handy function you never realised would be useful.

It also has a torch built in; again, can be useful although you don't have to use it if you don't want to.

GS38 tips are included.

It tests continuity in the absence of PD; my only complaint would be that it's very sensitive to the point it will register the continuity across your body and in that respect I would pay the extra for the T150, which displays a measurement, if they hadn't recalled them.

Mostly covered already,but the extra functions available,may not have anything to do with GS,BS and other...but make the tester useful in situations not related to safe isolation and proving.

Functions such as DC and "touch grounding",allow more tasks to be tackled,which in turn,justifies the cost and also,encourages use and confidence,making it an altogether more reliable tool,for it's most important role.

The plank which you use as a seat,a ramp and a diving board...is the one you would be happier to use crossing a chasm full of crocodiles...

All day long @oracle - I’ve got 2 of them plus a cyclim (like Tel showed) and a socket and see voltage indicator.
One job - ‘can I touch it, can I mess with it safely?’
View attachment 44449 Hey Pete! Here's my cheap, cheerful rugged, British made voltage indicator. Batteries neither included nor required. It does what it says. Detects voltage.

I like my Martindale. I've got a Dilog jobbie that does continuity and displays the voltage, also a Megger one I won in a competition that has a button for tripping RCDs. I always go back to my Martindale, though: mostly because it doesn't beep, or chirp, or annoy me, it just has 4 lights to indicate the approximate voltage (3 for 230V, 4 for 400V) and a couple more to indicate AC or DC. Probe tips are either completely shrouded ("push to test") or you can pull back the shroud, rotate by 90 degrees, then they are about 2mm exposed.

Why would a doctor need to pretend to be a spark?. ..... Bound by legislation,...... buried in paperwork,...... Needing the patient (sic) of a Saint .

I have had my Fluke T2 for 15/16 years which didn’t cost me anything.
Not sure if it’s GS38 compliant?
Does ELV down to 6V and can test continuity.
Also have a couple of Fluke Volt sticks, one with a button and one without.
Prefer the Fluke Volt sticks to other makes.

Since there is a belief the T150 has been the subject of a recall by Fluke, I emailed them yesterday. This is their response...

Fluke customer services said:
Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that the T150 is not included in any safety recalls currently and we are working through the backlog to clear all outstanding orders, this may take 2-3 months.

As you may know, we have worked through design improvement cycles of the TPOLE testers in an effort to continuously improve product reliability, including cable construction and optimization of the strain relief on both the main body and probe end cable connections. Recently, we have received additional feedback from the field regarding the TPOLE testers that suggests additional improvements could be made. Therefore, we decided to stop shipping this product family until improvements were made. We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused and want to reaffirm our commitment to quality and customer satisfaction.

So, no safety recall, but product improvements. Good on Fluke :)

Since there is a belief the T150 has been the subject of a recall by Fluke, I emailed them yesterday. This is their response...

So, no safety recall, but product improvements. Good on Fluke :)

Not sure I agree with "Good on them"

That basically says that there are known defects in the product family but they are not recalling them as they can get away with not doing so. But if you have one there is a good chance it may not work soon.

Not sure I agree with "Good on them"

That basically says that there are known defects in the product family but they are not recalling them as they can get away with not doing so. But if you have one there is a good chance it may not work soon.
Hmmm, I was just about to purchase a Fluke but not sure what to make of that email, having second thoughts now.

Fluke T3. had mine for 20 years .never failed.

Bend over, cough and I’ll tell you!
Why would a spark need to pretend to be a doctor? ....booked weeks in advance...knowing stare,as the bad news is delivered...illegible writing...you're already there...:)

Reply to GS38 Compliant voltage indicator recomendations. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net