Discuss GU10 bulbs keep blowing after about a week - please help this is driving me mad! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mervpayne

Hi, I have a four lamp Halogen GU10 light fitting in my kitchen (not spots) and two in an adjacent sun lounge. They were fine when first installed a few years ago but in the last 12 months when we replace the bulbs they are lasting a week at the most. As you can imagine, with a total of 12 bulbs this is both very annoying, time consuming and expensive!
As of this morning (after replacing the lot last week) we're down to 2 lights in the kitchen and 1 out of 8 in the sun lounge and I'm thinking of investing in a miner's helmet to help me make my morning cuppa.
Any ideas why these things are so unreliable?
I'm tempted to rip the things down and replace with a trusty old flourescemt strip light because I could have bought 3 with the money I've done on bulbs in the last month but it doesn't look the best does it?
Any help would be appreciated.

you could try gu10 LED lamps they will last loads longer but the light will be more clinical than the halogen lamps. also the cheep lamps don’t seem to last as long, i find the lamps that come with the fittings only last a week or so.

What make of bulbs are they? Also have a look on the box to see what type of reflector the bulb uses.

those bulbs dont like vibration, the ones in my bathroom never go wrong as its upstairs, but the ones in the kitchen go all the time, caused by people walking round upstairs. i would never fit these things to my house again, they are crap

those bulbs dont like vibration, the ones in my bathroom never go wrong as its upstairs, but the ones in the kitchen go all the time, caused by people walking round upstairs. i would never fit these things to my house again, they are crap

Yes, vibration and airborne grease!

The manufacturer does make a massive difference though and there are extra long-life lamps available-don't go to a supermarket or shed though, use an electrical wholesaler and go for Philips or Osram.

Reply to GU10 bulbs keep blowing after about a week - please help this is driving me mad! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock