Discuss Gu10 Downlight Size Holes? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

eskimo39

I am going to treat myself to some large Starrett holesaws to keep in the van for when I am fitting downlighters nut am unsure what sizes to get.

Are most GU10 downlighter holes around the 70-80mm mark?

I currently use a 73mm but have had to borrow a 67mm and also a 79mm for IP rated ones in the past.

Was thinking of getting:

67mm
70mm
73mm
76mm
79mm
83mm

I have gone with this configuration as most will allow the hole to be an mm or two bigger/smaller with no problems so will hopefully cover all bases.

What sizes do you guys keep?

Cant remember the exact sizes, but i have a Aldi holesaw set, cost nearly 7 quid, i've had it a few years now. I offer the saw up to the face of the light and use the one that looks about right. I found that if i cut at the dimensions in the installation instructions they were a bit tight. Cut them a bit oversize and they line up better in the ceiling if your holes are a bit on the ****. also makes it easier to get the buggers out for decorating.;)

Yeah last time I bought a new one to make sure they were the perfect size as in the instructions (73mm @ £12.50+VAT) I ended up using the padsaw to enlarge them to get the bracket bit through the hole. I would just get 3 to do for all of them. If the instructions say 70mm and you have a 73mm that's 1.5mm extra on each edge! All the ones I use have almost an inch bezel around them so that would be plenty good enough for me!

Cool, I am going to get them ordered in a minute. What is the difference between the yellow and black (tungsten carbide tipped)

I will only be using the larger ones in plasterboard.

Cheers

The tungsten ones are more for wood like MDF or hardwoods, they will still go through plasterboard like a knife through butter but they cost alot if you have to replace them, I keep hitting nails and taking the tips off. The yellow ones are bi-metal and don't mind hitting the odd nail. They do special cordless holesaws as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers, so would you recommend the yellow dual pitched ones over the black? I have priced them up and the black are about £23 more.

Thanks for the help

I would buy the yellow ones, and then buy the 20mm and 25mm tungsten ones separately as they would probably be the ones you'd most commonly use obviously not for downlights but for drilling access holes in MDF etc no more burning through!!;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Pennywise I always use Starratt, some guys I know use the adjustable blade with a plastic 'bucket' attached to catch the dust. Can't remember the make.

Screwfux:rolleyes: areselling these off cheap;

Titan Downlighter Holesaw Set 9 Pieces - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys#

Cant imagine they are much cop but hey @ 6 quid if they only last one hole each so what + they give an indication of the usual hole sizes.

On a rewire 4 bed house 60 odd gu10 downlights to fit(loosing the will to live ahhhhhh) dont mind the odd room but they are everywhere,anyway back to your question, jcc gu10 (63mm cutout) i have a 64mm holesaw and they fit a treat,click gu10 fire rated says to use 67mm cutout but we done some 60mm holes and with just nipping the side of p/board to accomodate clips fit nicely altough nearly take your fingers off when removed ouch got done earlier,if possible i always try a test run on spare p/board if available as sometimes manufacturers ines are not always that tight,the click 67mm cutout when tested was loose and had gaps.these are the only ones i have used recently,there does seem to be a lot of variation in sizes between manufacturers.

I know this is a very old post but rather than create a new one, currently the hole in the ceiling are for 63mm downlights, the new ones are 73mm, any tool to increase the size or do I just have to do it by hand, it's only 5mm all the way around.

Reply to Gu10 Downlight Size Holes? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net