Discuss Gu10 led lamps in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

KNIPEX

Im looking getting GU10 led lamps in place of normal GU10 lamps can you please reccomend me a good type as there is some right rubbish out there.

im after nice bright white light.

thanks for your help.

Before buying any LED GU10 lamp, look for the lumens output. A 50 watt standard halogen has a lumens output of around 950.For a 5 watt LED GU10 to give the same output it would need to produce 190 lumens per watt. Most so call High power or 50 watt equivalent fall very short of this. Ask a lot of wholesalers for the lumens output and they cannot tell you and just give you the equivalent value.

I always try to use decent CFL GU10's, cheaper and are more nearer the light output of a 50 watt Halogen.

Before buying any LED GU10 lamp, look for the lumens output. A 50 watt standard halogen has a lumens output of around 950.For a 5 watt LED GU10 to give the same output it would need to produce 190 lumens per watt. Most so call High power or 50 watt equivalent fall very short of this. Ask a lot of wholesalers for the lumens output and they cannot tell you and just give you the equivalent value.

I always try to use decent CFL GU10's, cheaper and are more nearer the light output of a 50 watt Halogen.

I'll second that!

Most of the LED lamps tend to be more of a spot rather than a flood. They're good for display purposes but not for general lighting, especially for domestic purposes. Go for a good 11w cfl such as selectric. If you like the cool white look of the LED, go for the 6,400k in the cfl, bit stark, but great for kitchens and bathrooms!
;)

[hi there i have used philips masterline 7 w gu 10 l.e.d lamps they are a crisp white light and give the same equivalent output as a 50 w halogen but better light quality, they are longer than the standard lamps therefore wont fit in normal firerated down lights but the 3 w version will, with the equivalent output of a 35w halogen. there not cheap tho prob bout 28 quid each, but are meant to last 40,000 hrs also are dimmable. i have used these and they are really good

I don't think it is worth buying any CFL as long as you can afford an LED. But are you saying that the following details of this light are impossible? I picked a CREE for an example, as you guys suggested.

I might not be right but according to what you're saying almost all wholesalers simply lie!

I certainly agree that Cree LED chips are certainly good. When lamps start using this chip CREE |Cree Announces Revolutionary New LED Platform Delivering 160 Lumens per Watt things will improve for LED lighting.

As to the wholesalers lie issue, they usually only can tell you what some sales rep has told them. This information has I have previously proved is far from the truth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for chewing on this but what you wrote just kept bothering me. I happen to have a few LED lights in my kitchen and dining room especially, and never really noticed that they don't emit the same light as the previous halogen I replaced them with. I wondered how this huge difference can be between the lumen of LEDs and halogens, checked the website I bought these, and they did write incredibly low lumen factors, like 400 for a bulb replacing a 45W halogen... and would sound ridiculous to me had I not seen that it works well in my own kitchen! So, here is what I found after a little research... of course hardly anyone writes about this, but middle of page under the title How to compare the brilliance of LEDs and other sources of light?
I wonder if this is a real reason or just a way to explain away.

I would say that OSRAM are a very good make to go for, they manufacture LED's from scratch and know what they are doing, have a look at the OSRAM website, there is also software and colour charts with different types of light fittings compared by output wavelength and usability...

If you are trying to find GU10 lamps that have a similar light intensity to 50W halogen then you need either the CREE lamps that have a narrow beam or for lighting a room you should select SMD LED lamps with 120 degree light. I have fitted the SMD lamps for several customers and they are very pleased with them. They are only 4W. They are available in warm white as well, which are very slightly dimmer but still good.

had 1 bad 1 in 6. returned to wholesalers and replaced foc. no prob. the 3watt are £8 + vat.

same here. i'm getting quality 5watt SMDs at an excellent price. customers are delighted with them. bye, bye horrible cfl rubbish.

I have just bought the newest technology COB (Chip on board) LEDs (GU10s), they are amazingly bright, around 500 lumens from 6W, while looking like a halogen rather than an unsightly LED, highly recommend them!

I had a customer insist I fitted the cheap LAP LEDS bought from screwfix....they bought around 30 of them at £6? I wasn't expecting much but I was actually pretty impressed ! Ive tried a lot of lamps ranging from £12-20. Usually I install the aurora 7w but I'm considering using the LAPs on another job now ! ....anyone tried them ? I would have never bought them as I assumed they would be crap.

Reply to Gu10 led lamps in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net