Discuss Guidance on correct qualifications for entry into trade in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good evening,
I am completely new to the forum, hence on this forum. I am currently a serving Fire fighter and have been interested in the potential of becoming an electrician as a career change in the long term. What I really need is the correct information on what qualifications are required and what course to avoid.
I have done my research and it seems that The City and guild 2365 level 2 and 3 is the correct entry route. This can be taken at college, however due to unsociable shift patterns I work makes it very difficult to attend the courses times. I have found companies that provide distance learning for this. I am not looking at a quick intense course as I am fully aware of the results of things going wrong due to incompetence.
Any help would be much appreciated
Dan

I am completely new to the forum, hence on this forum. I am currently a serving Fire fighter and have been interested in the potential of becoming an electrician as a career change in the long term. What I really need is the correct information on what qualifications are required and what course to avoid.
I have done my research and it seems that The City and guild 2365 level 2 and 3 is the correct entry route. This can be taken at college, however due to unsociable shift patterns I work makes it very difficult to attend the courses times. I have found companies that provide distance learning for this. I am not looking at a quick intense course as I am fully aware of the results of things going wrong due to incompetence.
you are a fireman good job .and you want to throw that away to become a true spark .
now that surprises me !

I completely agree and it is a good job. However I have a interest in this and the way the Fire service is being cut, I feel I need to really think about my future. I have the luxury of time due to my shifts where I can put hours into experience and free work to get the experience required if needed. I just want to do it the right way.

Hi - my suggestion is to introduce yourself to all local Electricians with a view to getting work experience. This will help to firm up whether this is the right move for you. The training companies will always be happy to take your money :)

Is your plan to go to commercial or domestic electrics?
There are different reqirements/skill sets/industry organisations that you must join, etc.

I have the luxury of time due to my shifts where I can put hours into experience and free work to get the experience required if needed. I just want to do it the right way.
it a known fact that some fireman are have got a trade .and do foreigner's when they are not on shifts .and do not declare it .

Good evening,
Dan

Welcome to the forum Daniel.

To become a fully qualified electrician you have to do the level 2 then level 3 2365 then NVQ level 3 with on site assessments along with AM2 practical exam.

Not 100% sure on what distance learning is but evening classes at college would be the best best but appreciate that your job will make that quite difficult.

I will be looking more at going down the domestic electrics. What are the main differences with course between the two?

Basically the majority of people who’ll work on commercial or new builds will either be NVQ 3 status or working towards their NVQ.

Where to work on domestic dwellings round peoples house you can join a competent person scheme like NICEIC once you’re deemed competent where you’ll be assessed.

It’s up to you really what route you want to take really.

Welcome,dude:)

So...you want to stop sliding down a shiny pole,and start climbing up a greasy one? :rolleyes:

You will find a good source of advice,here,amongst the members.

Don't be disheartened by the odd disparaging comment....you may have put out their CU,in the past ;)

Thanks for all the advice so far. Haha, PEG you never know.
By the sounds of it the best approach would be to get the level 2 and 3 city and guilds whilst trying to get any work on site.
Can anyone explain what the NVQ level 3 and AM2 is and how someone would go about getting this?

Thanks for all the advice so far. Haha, PEG you never know.
By the sounds of it the best approach would be to get the level 2 and 3 city and guilds whilst trying to get any work on site.
Can anyone explain what the NVQ level 3 and AM2 is and how someone would go about getting this?

The NVQ level 3 is a portfolio based assessment where you’ll have different units to tick off with photos etc and then finally the AM2 practical exam again where you’ll be accessed.

The best way to complete the NVQ is working along side another Sparky who works commercially, this is where all your NVQ units will be.

So yes your level 2 and 3 is parachute ready for you to work towards your NVQ

Reply to Guidance on correct qualifications for entry into trade in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock