Discuss Guidance on Inspection Schedules. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Guest123

Many thanks to ukpablo for finding and posting this in a thread.

Thought it would be a useful "sticky.:)

Here's a quick guide to what the schedule of inspections is all about, with some examples of what they refer to.

Both Basic & Fault Protection
SELV – if anything is provided by SELV, this gets a tick, otherwise N/A. Examples would be 12v extractor fan or 12v downlights
PELV – if anything is fed from a PELV supply
Double Insulation – Anything double insulated, i.e light fittings etc. These may also have metallic parts which must not be connected to earth. used to prevent the appearance of a dangerous voltage on the accessible parts of electrical equipment through a fault in the basic insulation
Reinforced insulation –similar to DI above - is a single insulation layer providing the same protection as double insultion... normally factory applied, often used in some classII equipment.

Basic Protection
Insulation of live parts – parts insulated against touching - i.e all cables have insulation, so tick for that
Barries or enclosures – anything covered by enclosure – i.e DB, consumer units, choc box
Obstacles – ‘are intended to prevent unintentional contact with live parts but not intentional contact by deliberate circumvention of the obstacle – not used in domestic
Placing out of reach - is use to provide unintentional contact with live parts – not used in domestic. Main example would be bare overhead busbars feeding overhead cranes, overhead lines etc

Fault Protection
Presence of earthing conductors - quite simply, the main earth
Presence of circuit protective conductors – do the circuits have an earth. For example, old lighting circuits without an earth would be a X
Presence of protective bonding conductors – Is the earth to gas & water (or other services there)
Presence of supplementary bonding conductors – i.e bonding in a bathroom there req’d. in most new installs, would be N/A
Presence of earthing for combined & functional purposes. Basically, TNC. So will be N/A for just about every occasion, especially in a house (NOTE: even if supply is PME, it doesn’t apply to this, since its split before BS7671 starts after the meter)
Presence od adequate arrangements for alternative sources – earthing for external sources, i.e generator, PV etc. there will most likely be a rod installed and an earth to MET, so tick if there, or in most places, its N/A
FELV – similar to SELV, but its not electrically separate, i.e fed from auto transformer
Choice and setting of protective and monitoring devices - Are the MCB’s/fuses the right size for cable
Non-conducting location – not used in domestic, only used in locations under supervision etc
Earth free local bonding – similar to above
Electrical separation for one item – pretty much SELV feeding one thing, i.e shaver socket
Electrical separation for more than 1 item – not used in domestic – mostly test benches where supply is by separation so they can work on ‘live’ equipment
Additional protection
RCD: is there an RCD if needed
Supplementary bonding conductors –Bonding in bathrooms etc if req’d

Prevention of mutual detrimental influence
Proximity of non-electrical services and other influences – are cables safely away from gas/water pipes etc
Segregation of and I and Band II – are cables of difference voltage adequately separate – i.e security alarm cables away from mains cables, unless they are designed for mains voltage
Segregation of safely circuits - are cables for fire alarm and emergency lighting (central battery type) adequately separate from mains

Identification
Presence of diagrams, instructions etc – are DB charts, circuit diagrams etc there (diagrams more for control systems etc, not really much for domestic)
Presence of danger notices and other warning notices – for the likes of colour change labels, ‘earth clamp notices (‘safetly electrical connection…’) , 400V etc
Labelling on protective devices, switches and terminals – Are MCB’s etc adequately marked
ID of conductors – stuff like blue sleeved brown at a light switch, blue marking on a conductor in a 3 core when neutral used etc

Cables and conductors
Selection for CCC and VD – have cables been adequately selected and checked VD etc is within limits
Erection menthods – Is wiring installed to regs – i.e does that length of conduit have saddles spaces at correct intervals, or one saddle and the end
Routing of cables in prescribed zones – do cable run in safe zones
Cables incorporating earthed armour or sheath or run within an earthed wiring system, or otherwise protected against nails, screws and the like – if cable cannot be in safe zone, and its SWA, in conduit etc, tick here
Additional protection by 30mA RCD for cables concealed in walls – Do cables buried in walls have RCD protection
Connection of conductors – Are they terminated correctly
Presence of fire barriers, suitable seals and protection against thermal effects – If a cable goes though a fire barrier or similar, is it adequately sealed to give same protection against fire etc as if wasn’t there

General
Presence and location of appropriate devices for switching and isolation – Is switch gear in appropriate locations
Adequacy of access to switch gear and other equipment – is equipment installed at easy access locations – i.e, do you have to get the ladders out then crawl though narrow cupboards to access DB etc
Particular protective measures for special installations and locations – i.e TT or TNS only for caravan sites. also applies tobathroom/swimming pools etc
Connection of single pole devices for protection or switching in line conductors only – are there any switched neutrals instead of lives (DP is OK), are there any fused neutrals (Note: this does not include fused neutrals in service head and this comes under ESQCR, not 7671, but this should still be reported to DNO so they can change it)
Correct connection of accessories & equipment - is equipment connected correctly - i.e is the boiler connected correctly to SFCU/DP switch
Presence of under voltage protective devices – Is there anything to cut supply on low voltage – i.e DOL starter, active RCD’s (not passive)
Selection of equipment and protective measures appropriate to external influences - i.e is the outside light IP rated, is the cooker switch directly above cooker where it could be damaged by heat
Selection of appropriate functional switching devices – is the switch correct – i.e for a motor is a DOL used rather than rotary isolator

SELV –
PELV –
Double Insulation –
Reinforced insulation –

I've always marked the above as N/A on a domestic installation that would relate to the primary method of protection for the circuit or installation the schedule is covering, not a particular piece of equipment.

SELV –
PELV –
Double Insulation –
Reinforced insulation –

I've always marked the above as N/A on a domestic installation that would relate to the primary method of protection for the circuit or installation the schedule is covering, not a particular piece of equipment.

And you'd be correct, it's where those measures are 'distributed' that the box should be ticked.

So if you have down lighters where the transformer is not in the luminaire it is distributed on to the lamp
if the fitting includes the transformer its not?

just a point on the SELV as both basic and fault protection; that is only true if the voltage is 25v max otherwise basic protection is also required

generally good guide
just to add a bit more information;
Functional earth is where equipment uses earthing system as voltage reference point, if it is only functional earth the colour is cream, typical domestic would be the cream wire going to the earth bar from a RCBO, lots of equipment now days use functional earth (protective conductor currents) but where the cpc provides a safety earth facility the safety feature takes presence over function so the wire would be green and yellow instead of cream.
there are many instances in offices where high integrity earth is required, ring final circuits requiring the use of socket outlet with two earthing terminals and cpc's connected into two terminals on the earth bar instead of the normal use of one terminal, these are also functional earth

Presence of earthing for combined & functional purposes. Basically, TNC. So will be N/A for just about every occasion, especially in a house (NOTE: even if supply is PME, it doesn’t apply to this, since its split before BS7671 starts after the meter)

this has got nothing to do with PME supplies, the inspection schedule is about the installation not the DNO's equipent

this is refering to high integrity earthing required for high ptotective conductor currents,

see 7.5 of the green on site guide

regards
John

Good list of examples - its a shame that most printers of 'schedule of inspections' do not supply a examples sheet like this.
Many thanks to ukpablo for finding and posting this in a thread.

Thought it would be a useful "sticky.:)

Here's a quick guide to what the schedule of inspections is all about, with some examples of what they refer to.

SELV – if anything is provided by SELV, this gets a tick, otherwise N/A. Examples would be 12v extractor fan or 12v downlights
PELV – if anything is fed from a PELV supply
Double Insulation – Anything double insulated, i.e light fittings etc. These may also have metallic parts which must not be connected to earth. used to prevent the appearance of a dangerous voltage on the accessible parts of electrical equipment through a fault in the basic insulation
Reinforced insulation –similar to DI above - is a single insulation layer providing the same protection as double insultion... normally factory applied, often used in some classII equipment.

Basic Protection
Insulation of live parts – parts insulated against touching - i.e all cables have insulation, so tick for that
Barries or enclosures – anything covered by enclosure – i.e DB, consumer units, choc box
Obstacles – ‘are intended to prevent unintentional contact with live parts but not intentional contact by deliberate circumvention of the obstacle – not used in domestic
Placing out of reach - is use to provide unintentional contact with live parts – not used in domestic. Main example would be bare overhead busbars feeding overhead cranes, overhead lines etc

Fault Protection
Presence of earthing conductors - quite simply, the main earth
Presence of circuit protective conductors – do the circuits have an earth. For example, old lighting circuits without an earth would be a X
Presence of protective bonding conductors – Is the earth to gas & water (or other services there)
Presence of supplementary bonding conductors – i.e bonding in a bathroom there req’d. in most new installs, would be N/A
Presence od adequate arrangements for alternative sources – earthing for external sources, i.e generator, PV etc. there will most likely be a rod installed and an earth to MET, so tick if there, or in most places, its N/A
FELV – similar to SELV, but its not electrically separate, i.e fed from auto transformer
Choice and setting of protective and monitoring devices - Are the MCB’s/fuses the right size for cable
Non-conducting location – not used in domestic, only used in locations under supervision etc
Earth free local bonding – similar to above
Electrical separation for one item – pretty much SELV feeding one thing, i.e shaver socket
Electrical separation for more than 1 item – not used in domestic – mostly test benches where supply is by separation so they can work on ‘live’ equipment
Additional protection
RCD: is there an RCD if needed
Supplementary bonding conductors –Bonding in bathrooms etc if req’d

Prevention of mutual detrimental influence
Proximity of non-electrical services and other influences – are cables safely away from gas/water pipes etc
Segregation of and I and Band II – are cables of difference voltage adequately separate – i.e security alarm cables away from mains cables, unless they are designed for mains voltage
Segregation of safely circuits - are cables for fire alarm and emergency lighting (central battery type) adequately separate from mains

Identification
Presence of diagrams, instructions etc – are DB charts, circuit diagrams etc there (diagrams more for control systems etc, not really much for domestic)
Presence of danger notices and other warning notices – for the likes of colour change labels, ‘earth clamp notices (‘safetly electrical connection…’) , 400V etc
Labelling on protective devices, switches and terminals – Are MCB’s etc adequately marked
ID of conductors – stuff like blue sleeved brown at a light switch, blue marking on a conductor in a 3 core when neutral used etc

Cables and conductors
Selection for CCC and VD – have cables been adequately selected and checked VD etc is within limits
Erection menthods – Is wiring installed to regs – i.e does that length of conduit have saddles spaces at correct intervals, or one saddle and the end
Routing of cables in prescribed zones – do cable run in safe zones
Cables incorporating earthed armour or sheath or run within an earthed wiring system, or otherwise protected against nails, screws and the like – if cable cannot be in safe zone, and its SWA, in conduit etc, tick here
Additional protection by 30mA RCD for cables concealed in walls – Do cables buried in walls have RCD protection
Connection of conductors – Are they terminated correctly
Presence of fire barriers, suitable seals and protection against thermal effects – If a cable goes though a fire barrier or similar, is it adequately sealed to give same protection against fire etc as if wasn’t there

General
Presence and location of appropriate devices for switching and isolation – Is switch gear in appropriate locations
Adequacy of access to switch gear and other equipment – is equipment installed at easy access locations – i.e, do you have to get the ladders out then crawl though narrow cupboards to access DB etc
Particular protective measures for special installations and locations – i.e TT or TNS only for caravan sites. also applies tobathroom/swimming pools etc
Connection of single pole devices for protection or switching in line conductors only – are there any switched neutrals instead of lives (DP is OK), are there any fused neutrals (Note: this does not include fused neutrals in service head and this comes under ESQCR, not 7671, but this should still be reported to DNO so they can change it)
Correct connection of accessories & equipment - is equipment connected correctly - i.e is the boiler connected correctly to SFCU/DP switch
Presence of under voltage protective devices – Is there anything to cut supply on low voltage – i.e DOL starter, active RCD’s (not passive)
Selection of equipment and protective measures appropriate to external influences - i.e is the outside light IP rated, is the cooker switch directly above cooker where it could be damaged by heat
Selection of appropriate functional switching devices – is the switch correct – i.e for a motor is a DOL used rather than rotary isolator

Reply to Guidance on Inspection Schedules. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock