Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Guidance on new MFT's in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. alban moffitt

alban moffitt Active EF Member

Business Name:
    McKelectrictoshentire Ltd.
    Hi everyone,
    am looking to buy a mft for the first time so that i can start signing of work myself.
    not really sure which make/models to be looking at. when it says '18th edtion' in the description does this mean it completes all tests stated in the regs or what?
    have seen some of the megger ones, which appear quite smart but would appreciate some advice on getting one.
    thanks in advance

2. Barnaby Stedman

Barnaby Stedman Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    ServicesUK
    Hello alban

I really like the di-log dl9110 multifunction tester - a great piece of kit - have had one for years and has always done a good job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. alban moffitt

alban moffitt Active EF Member

Business Name:
    McKelectrictoshentire Ltd.
    hello barnaby
    thanks for that.
    what functions does it have?

4. spinlondon

spinlondon Forum Mentor

I suggest that you make a list of all the functions you want the MFT to have.
    Then click on our sponsor ‘test-meter.co.uk’ and use their comparison thing to see which meters will suit your needs.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear please let me back in to the prison cell. Electrician's Arms

You could go for a banana yellow one ,that came in banana box ,or go for a megger that does not confuse your brain or go with a MFT that will give you a bigger headache.

7. Yozza19

Yozza19 Regular EF Member

Avoid anything kewtech wild fluctuations on readings on all of our ones when it’s cold

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Marti

Marti Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    Jigsaw Electrical Services
    That's a shame as, outside of the big two (Megger & Fluke) these were the only ones I thought looked professional.

A lot of folk seem to stick with whatever they used at college. Personally, I went to Electrician's Show at Ally Pally had got hands on (oooh err...) with all the kit. For me, Megger was a clear winner for simplicity and clarity with all the functions but in a truly rubbish case. I've seen more than one Megger in a Fluke carry case.

Choose carefully on function and ease of use. It's a lot of money and the difference between prices isn't worth struggling in dark under-stair cupboard.

9. Marti

Marti Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    Oh, and there is always Metrel but they seem to disable functions in software and leave the menu items in! Also, they use their own design of lead which some people like.

That's another name that was missing from this years show. A pretty pathetic attempt this year despite trying to combine the plumber's show.

10. ferg

ferg Electrician's Arms

Fluke for me.

A habit for many years now.

Megger would be my second choice but really it depends on which you prefer personally.

I don't imagine there is much between the 2 brands quality wise.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Phil Thompson

Phil Thompson Let us light up your life! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Brite Spark Electrical
    Prices on the Megger have really jumped up, looking on site sponsor website last night. Was thinking on upgrading to something fancier. But it definitely won’t be for a while lol

12. Marti

Marti Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    Interestingly, and prompted by Yozza's comment, I ran my Megger across a Cal-Card and a known RCD. The RCD test is similar but the IR and Continuity have both shifted, possibly due to the weather. Not a problem as long as you test regularly and are aware I guess.