Discuss Guidance to become an electrician in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

what route to take?

• Route A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Route B

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need your help. I'm finishing a levels this months, and want to become an sparky. I do not know what route to take:
A: Do a training course for CG level 2, then CG level 3 electrical installations. This would take under a year at the centre I'm looking on.
Or
B: Do an apprenticeship that would take about 3/4 years, and get the same qualifications.
I researched jobs, and everyone requires and ECS card, which requires an NVQ. But the NVQ requires me to find work, which i cant find without a ECS card.
I would like to see someones opinion. Please be sure to post any red flags about doing the training course. Thank you,

Do an apprenticeship while studying for your level 2 and level 3 would be the best route.
Also you dont need an NVQ to get an ECS card, unless you are applying for the graded JIB card. The level 2 and 3 you mention is that a training shed or a college?

Im either going for 'Able skills construction training' or
'Alpha Building Services Engineering'. I think this is what you call a training shed hehe. I believe you need and nvq depending on which type of ecs card your applying for. As of now, I have no idea which ill go for.
Do you think its possible to get become a sparkies little helper after level 2 training, so that i can gain experience whilst doing level 3?
Thank you for replying

Do your level 2 at college and then do your level 3 and NVQ at the same time for your apprenticeship. It should only take 2 years to finish your level 3 and NVQ, you will then have experience at the same time.

Thanks Will, that actually sounds like a good plan. Id be able to get a better apprenticeship if i do my level 2 first, sounds good. Just wondering, if i did level 2 and 3 in college, how hard would it be to get a job to complete the nvq?
Thank you.

I'll always opt for an apprenticeship if given the choice.
I never had an apprenticeship, so I spent 3 years in college and then another year doing the NVQ. It's harder if you do it on your own as there's no one backing you up when you ask for different jobs to fill your logbook up.

I'd stay away from the "sheds" for your training, I'm not dead against them as I did the testing qualification with Ableskills but I think they should really only be used by people who have worked in the industry for a few years and just need the qualifications to back up the knowledge they've already got.

My advice is go to college for the technical certificates (level 2 and 3 City and Guilds 2365) get a job as an Electrical Mate during this time.

Then once you feel you're ready do the NVQ with either an online provider or a "Shed", the reason why I say use them for your NVQ and not the rest is the NVQ isn't there to train or guide you in anyway. It's there for you to provide evidence of you doing the work you've already been trained to do at college and on site.

Edit: You can apply for an Electrical Labourer ECS card but need to get a company to write a letter saying you'll be working for an Electrical company before they'll give you one.

Last edited:
To get an ecs card you need a sponsor I know able skills will sponsor you if you course with them also I know a few people who go college and started at the same time as me and are quite away back in knowledge I know alot of people dont agree with able skills but if you do the course on the weekends I think it helps alot as you have a full week to take in the weekend learning I would never recommend trying to do it in 7 weeks straight

Reply to Guidance to become an electrician in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net