Discuss Gun cabinet door contact in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Could do with some advice on using a door contact on a Gun cabinet, I sceptically tried a normal magnetic door contact to see if it would work but it thinks it’s always alarming no matter whether the door is closed or open. Does any one have any suggestions or recommendations on how to get it working properly.

If it is relevant it’s on a texecom panel.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Could do with some advice on using a door contact on a Gun cabinet, I sceptically tried a normal magnetic door contact to see if it would work but it thinks it’s always alarming no matter whether the door is closed or open. Does any one have any suggestions or recommendations on how to get it working properly.

If it is relevant it’s on a texecom panel.

Thanks in advance
PM camerabloke he will help I'm sure

If it' alarming when the door is closed is it close enough to keep the contacts closed? Test it with your meter and see if the contacts get continuity when it' closed in case they are just not closing because they aren't close enough

and if it's a steel door, the magnet might be draining. answer is to fit a heavier duty contact/magnet, maybe space the magnet away from the steel with some wood.

it would be better to build a cupboard around the cabinet or place it in an existing one. And alarm that. Nothing fancy and no need to be locked. That way the alarm will be triggered before the attack on the real cabinet begins. And not when the door has been opened and your guns have gone.

I have a gun vault (locked up when i'm not at home) but i installed a micro-switch just inside the door and sets off an alarm when the door is opened without disarming the alarm system.

I quite don't understand what you want....
Why don't you put a PIR covering the gun cabinet. The the alarm will go off before they even get to it.

OP private messaged me and no reply after advice given

Is the OP after a stand along alarm just for the gun cabinet or just wants to know when anyone has opened their gun cabinet?

Reply to Gun cabinet door contact in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net