Discuss Gunsmith needs to wire a DPDT switch! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

littlefraggle

Hello from Kent, I have forgotten the tiny amount I learned about electrics and I need to wire a DPDT switch to control a 230V 50Hz synchronous motor and just haven't a clue and don't fancy killing myself. Very much DIY electrics but I'd appreciate any help (I have project box, gland, soldering iron, terminal strips, a switch some flex and a plug 13A).

Happy to swap advice if anyone has a wonky hun they need sorting out!

Cheers

Why are you using a double pole, double throw switch?

I need the switch to control a motor that slowly draws a piece of work out of a tube of varnish and then slowly lowers it back into the varnish. The process takes 3 hours or so and I don't want to stand there for six hours winding it by hand ideally.

Best let an experienced spark do this for you. But hey, don't shoot the messenger.....!

Last edited:
Yes it's to reverse the motor. There are 6 terminals, if there were 26 - I'd be calling a sparks but it just can't be that hard...

Can you take a picture of the motor terminal box and attach it in the thread? How this would wire would very much depend on the arrangement in the motor terminal box, if there's a diagram inside the box lid please include that as well and the make and model number of the motor.

Would it be better to use a timer to run the motor one direction then automatically change direction? Does the motor run constantly throughout the dipping process and does it have limit switches built in?

The motor just has two wires coming out of it. It can run either way. I just need to connect it to the switch please. A timer won't work as once the item is wound to the top, ho do I then lower it. This is a tiny 2" wide synchronous motor not some huge 3 phase thing.

Ahh, I was picturing something more industrial but it sounds like one of those very small motors they use in a microwave to drive the glass turntable plate around.

Is there a capacitor somewhere on or external to the motor? Are you sure it's only got 2 wires, if so how does it reverse? Is it anything like this one? It would still help if I could get a make and model number.

It's a bit like that yes, it's a rod drying motor off the bay. Only says 230v and 50Hz on it, two thin blue wires. I planned to use the switch to reverse the motor polarity as others do. I was planning to wire the motor into a connection block and then into the switch in one of those plastic boxes we used at school!

As far as I know if the motor only has two wires coming out of it then it can't be reversible.

I'm not an expert on these little motors but I don't see how you're going to make it reversible without at least 3 wires or maybe 4 wires plus you'll need a capacitor. With an AC motor just reversing the supply wires won't change the running direction.

OK thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go and post how I get on.

Motor has two wires, power supply has two wires. Motor rated 230v 50 Hz input supply is 230v. Wire as per diagram or am I about to fry myself?

Your reversing diagram in post 14 only works for DC motors.

What Marvo was alluding to in post 12 was that this doesn't work for 2-wire AC motors.

OK thanks. I have a rod dryer here on my bench that has the exact same motor and a rocker switch, no PCB of any sort and is wired to a UK plug - if I turn it on the motor turns. If I turn it off and then on again, the motor reverses. Please explain that as I'm clearly a bit dense. No DPDT switch though.
Am I over complicating it?

OK thanks. I have a rod dryer here on my bench that has the exact same motor and a rocker switch, no PCB of any sort and is wired to a UK plug - if I turn it on the motor turns. If I turn it off and then on again, the motor reverses. Please explain that as I'm clearly a bit dense. No DPDT switch though.
Am I over complicating it?

Ah! Some synchronous motors will set off in the opposite direction each time they're started. Others use some sort of internal mechanical device to set their direction of rotation. Once it's going, the motor will keep going in the same direction. You can test this out with your new motor by just connecting it up and seeing which way it turns. Switch off, then on and see if it changes. Then try connecting up with the supply reversed and see if it makes any difference.

I thought that using a DPDT switch (£2) would make it a dead cert. I'm just trying to wire the clucking thing up so I don't get fried and the motor reverses!

Reply to Gunsmith needs to wire a DPDT switch! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock