Discuss H4 Cooker Circuits in household and similar premises in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Evening All. I am supplying a cooker and an electric hob from a single circuit via a single isolation switch. When calculating the demand with diversity i.e. first 10A + 30% remainder, should this be for each appliance then added together or combined?

Either way I get 28.4A or 21.4A for a 6.6kW Induction hob with a 4.4Kw oven. I was going to install a 10mm off the top of my head but it seems I can install a 6mm clipped direct. Any thoughts?

(Reference made to H4 p.184 OSG and Table A1 p.116 OSG)

IMO diversity should be applied to an individual appliance, e.g. your average single oven cannot (usually) have both the grill and main oven, operating at the same time, but separate appliances can operate independently.

So, I would calculate diversity for individual loads, cable selection would then depend on reference method. However, I would suggest most domestic setups, would be fine on 6mm, as telectrix suggested.

As your calculations have shown, even taking them individually you end up at about 28Amps, So a 32A cb and 6mm cable sounds fine (volt drop and Zs permitting)

Thanks for the help guys. @Midwest I have to agree with your thoughts on the diversity, just wasn't sure as the OSG does not really say although it does mention supplying 2 cooking appliances from 1 circuit / isolator.

Thanks for the help guys. @Midwest I have to agree with your thoughts on the diversity, just wasn't sure as the OSG does not really say although it does mention supplying 2 cooking appliances from 1 circuit / isolator.

But calculating diversity for a hob and oven separately, would be the worse case scenario. That's how I've always thought of it. However, only ever had one install, where a 6mm 32amp wasn't sufficient.

Reply to H4 Cooker Circuits in household and similar premises in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock