Discuss had to take a photo and couldn't stop laughing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OK, please explain. Ran out of 2.5mm a bit ago, so scoured everywhere for the best deal. Usually use TLC, but their prices have gone up, along with most others. All the usual outlets round here were expensive, even asked my local Denman's for a deal if I bought 1000 metres - not interested. Guess who was cheapest? And its Prysmian as well, just like the others. So does a "professional Tradesman" think it's cool to pay through the nose then? I think some of you guys are just snobs to be honest. I questioned the guy in Denman's just yesterday after he asked where I got my last lot of 2.5, and he said "Oh yeah Screwfix just can't be beat at the moment, we can't match them"
Partly tongue in cheek comment. Partly not. They sell some products I would use. But not at the prices I would pay. Much prefer my local independent wholesaler.

I can get T&E cheaper than Screwfix. I don't like the Prysmain cable one bit either, it's a PITA to first fix and a total PITA to second fix.

Looking at Electricfix current prices, I got 1.5 T&E from CEF for £1.50+VAT less per 100m, and 2.5 T&E for £2.66+VAT less per 100m. And any cable outside of that Electricfix prices are a mile out.

I use Electricfix for Safety boots and a couple of other bits. After that they are full of poor quality materials at not great prices, or some products I would use but they charge silly prices. £3.33+VAT for a BG MCB? Seriously???

Partly tongue in cheek comment. Partly not. They sell some products I would use. But not at the prices I would pay. Much prefer my local independent wholesaler.

I can get T&E cheaper than Screwfix. I don't like the Prysmain cable one bit either, it's a PITA to first fix and a total PITA to second fix.

Looking at Electricfix current prices, I got 1.5 T&E from CEF for £1.50+VAT less per 100m, and 2.5 T&E for £2.66+VAT less per 100m. And any cable outside of that Electricfix prices are a mile out.

I use Electricfix for Safety boots and a couple of other bits. After that they are full of poor quality materials at not great prices, or some products I would use but they charge silly prices. £3.33+VAT for a BG MCB? Seriously???

£266 + VAT for 100M of 2.5??

never even noticed the milk
2 blokes on 1 ladder (metal ladder)
working on live fitting
pallet truck just out of shot
no barriers around work area
I would love to see the method statement and risk assessment

I question your right to post these pics of the Girl , I bet you would not of if it were your daughter working there ! .
And has for the guys working on the light fitting , if they are sparky's they will know the risk etc , worked on live lines many a time just be a bit more carefull thats all .

And has for the guys working on the light fitting , if they are sparky's they will know the risk etc , worked on live lines many a time just be a bit more carefull thats all .

Not sensible to be working on a live fitting in an open area like that.

Why do we all reckon the fitting is live? I haven't really looked closely at the photo, but isn't it highly likely that fittings like that, in a situation like that, would be fed from click roses? Therefore it's entirely possible that the fitting has been unplugged and dead...so maybe all we're talking about is 2 blokes on some steps and a bored girl picking her nose! I stand by to be corrected by the more observant/interested!

Why do we all reckon the fitting is live? I haven't really looked closely at the photo, but isn't it highly likely that fittings like that, in a situation like that, would be fed from click roses?

It’s mounted directly onto lighting trunking, so d say it’s a safe bet that it’s not fed via a rock rose.

Therefore it's entirely possible that the fitting has been unplugged and dead...so maybe all we're talking about is 2 blokes on some steps .....

True, but the flip-side of the coin is that it's entirely possible that the fitting has not been unplugged and is live. If so, then working-off a pair of metal steps isn't a good idea ..... particularly when someone else is using them at the same time. Safe isolation of the circuit being worked on and two sets of fibreglass steps would be the only way for me.

I'm stunned and shocked that anyone that call's themselves a professional tradesman goes to Screwfix for materials:(

For the bog standard stuff they're ok and as they are a partner with my utilities provider, I get 1.5% off of whatever I spend there taken off my utility bill. Over the year that works out to at least 1 or 2 months free utilities per year :)

Reply to had to take a photo and couldn't stop laughing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net