Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Hager boards. Cant stand them in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. wirepuller

wirepuller Trusted Advisor

Had to replace an MCB on an existing Hager board (dual RCD) as part of yesterday afternoons job. Having to drop the entire busbar just to change one MCB, and then fiddling around in a tight space to get it back, then the paranoia over whether I've missed a clamp. Mirror, torch...still cant really tell because of the shelf just below the CU.
    Any board designed to make it highly likely that even a competent person cant be sure the devices are properly installed once the board is in- situ should be outlawed.

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    Having to drop the entire busbar just to change one MCB,

you get that with most CUs. PITA.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent You Rock Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Are you sure? You don't normally have to drop it out on a hager board.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. wirepuller

Have they changed the design then? This was a plastic board but fairly recent, mcb release clip was on the bottom and the busbar was loose, only secured by the devices. Devices would not release with the busbar in place
    People moan about proteus and M2.....but even they manage to design a board where the busbar stays put.

6. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    I've got an old Hager split consumer unit and when I put in an MCB did not have to take out bus-bar.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent You Rock Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

2min 50 secs in.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. wirepuller

OK..me having a blonde moment then!
    That mcb really didn't want to come out though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    You sometimes have the little clip/clamp on the bottom rear that is stiff, to avoid taking the busbar out you need a little hook as when the busbar is in place its not always possible to get a screwdriver or other thin long tool to reach the little hole on the back to pull the clip down releasing the mcb/rcbo from the din rail to then lift off the busbar. the plastic cover over the busbar can reduce the angle to make it hard to reach the clip. i have a old knitting needle that i use as it lets me go in turn it and then hook the clip from behind to pull it down. serves me well. this picture sort of explains it. also it can depend on whether you have the metal clips on the back which are much stiffer or the plastic ones, the metal ones sometimes need to go back wards before going down, the plastic are normally straight down

hook.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. happyhippydad

happyhippydad Member Electrician's Arms

So now you like them ? :D

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    often if you slacken the terminal screw right back, there enough play to get the thing in without dropping the buzzbar. a bit tricky, like having sex without her dropping her knickers.

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. mattg4321

mattg4321 Electrician's Arms

You sure it was Hager?

The newer MCB's with the plastic clips at the bottom come out extremely easily, possibly this was the older type with the metal clip which were slightly more difficult, but still far easier than say Wylex.

You can't miss the clamp with Hager MCB's as its blanked off so it's impossible to do.

• Like Like x 1
  13. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    hope that's a VDE knitting needle. :D:D:D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    I self certified it as vde by wrapping it in green and yellow insulation tape. i should start flogging them on t'internet

• Like Like x 2
  15. wirepuller

Was Hager with the plastic clip....I'll try a bit harder next time! Was the end of the day on a Friday, and the board was in a really awkward cupboard.
    That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.:D (Still rate starbreaker as the best I've used)