Discuss Hager boards. Cant stand them in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 9648

Had to replace an MCB on an existing Hager board (dual RCD) as part of yesterday afternoons job. Having to drop the entire busbar just to change one MCB, and then fiddling around in a tight space to get it back, then the paranoia over whether I've missed a clamp. Mirror, torch...still cant really tell because of the shelf just below the CU.
Any board designed to make it highly likely that even a competent person cant be sure the devices are properly installed once the board is in- situ should be outlawed.

Have they changed the design then? This was a plastic board but fairly recent, mcb release clip was on the bottom and the busbar was loose, only secured by the devices. Devices would not release with the busbar in place
People moan about proteus and M2.....but even they manage to design a board where the busbar stays put.

You sometimes have the little clip/clamp on the bottom rear that is stiff, to avoid taking the busbar out you need a little hook as when the busbar is in place its not always possible to get a screwdriver or other thin long tool to reach the little hole on the back to pull the clip down releasing the mcb/rcbo from the din rail to then lift off the busbar. the plastic cover over the busbar can reduce the angle to make it hard to reach the clip. i have a old knitting needle that i use as it lets me go in turn it and then hook the clip from behind to pull it down. serves me well. this picture sort of explains it. also it can depend on whether you have the metal clips on the back which are much stiffer or the plastic ones, the metal ones sometimes need to go back wards before going down, the plastic are normally straight down

hook.JPG

You sure it was Hager?

The newer MCB's with the plastic clips at the bottom come out extremely easily, possibly this was the older type with the metal clip which were slightly more difficult, but still far easier than say Wylex.

You can't miss the clamp with Hager MCB's as its blanked off so it's impossible to do.

You sometimes have the little clip/clamp on the bottom rear that is stiff, to avoid taking the busbar out you need a little hook as when the busbar is in place its not always possible to get a screwdriver or other thin long tool to reach the little hole on the back to pull the clip down releasing the mcb/rcbo from the din rail to then lift off the busbar. the plastic cover over the busbar can reduce the angle to make it hard to reach the clip. i have a old knitting needle that i use as it lets me go in turn it and then hook the clip from behind to pull it down. serves me well. this picture sort of explains it. also it can depend on whether you have the metal clips on the back which are much stiffer or the plastic ones, the metal ones sometimes need to go back wards before going down, the plastic are normally straight down

View attachment 39790
hope that's a VDE knitting needle. :D:D:D.

Was Hager with the plastic clip....I'll try a bit harder next time! Was the end of the day on a Friday, and the board was in a really awkward cupboard.
That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.:D (Still rate starbreaker as the best I've used)

I really like Hager and prefer them
As others have said- the MCB just unclips and lifts out (you need to unscrew the bus bar screw a few turns)
I like their new low profile RCBO's- not bad prices as well.

Reply to Hager boards. Cant stand them in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net