Discuss Hager RCBOs deciding not to hold in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Mr.Si

-
Reaction score
Just had a hager 32a rcbo go on me today. Nothing wrong with the circuit, i think the internal latching mechanics have broken as it does not hold when disconnected totally and just sitting in my spares box.

Has anyone else had this sort of experience?

It's less than a year old and just in a domestic cu so hasn't exactly been under pressure... Makes me less happy with the brand.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II via Tapatalk

I always use Hager when I can. I have never had that problem TBH. I am quite surprised too so maybe you just have a rogue one there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had a hager 32a rcbo go on me today. Nothing wrong with the circuit, i think the internal latching mechanics have broken as it does not hold when disconnected totally and just sitting in my spares box....

What do you mean by 'does not hold when disconnected'? Rcds need power applied to hold latched closed (on).

I've been using Hager 90+% of the time for about the last 3 years. I haven't yet had a single faulty RCD or RCBO. But a large manufacturer like Hager is bound to have a few go faulty in the field.

I had a chat with a Hager tech guy at a 17th Amend 1 presentation recently and he described some of the R&D and manufacturing controls that they use. My confidence in the brand is extremely high. BTW I'm ex automotive R&D for luxury manufacturer so understand most of the issues he described.

What do you mean by 'does not hold when disconnected'? Rcds need power applied to hold latched closed (on).

As in when it's not even in the consumer unit, just in your hand. Flick it into the on position and it will stay there.

This one didn't. Doesn't need power!

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are saying that with the rcbo in your hand i.e. NOT connected to a power supply, you try to switch it from 'off' to 'on'. You are expecting it to remain in the 'on' position, but find that it doesn't, instead the switch automatically returns to the 'off' position.
That is as would be expected. For a rcd type device, it is held on the 'on' position by an internal electromagnet. Without power being present, the electromagnet does not work and so it will not remain switched 'on'. Try putting the rcbo into a board and apply power to the board. You will find that the rcbo will now hold in the 'on' position.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk

Im a Hager fan too. Expensive stuff, but you get what you pay for. 2 year guarentee so send it bsck for a replacement. Id speak to the Hager tech guys too - very helpful

Im a Hager fan too. Expensive stuff, but you get what you pay for. 2 year guarentee so send it bsck for a replacement. Id speak to the Hager tech guys too - very helpful

Oooh that's useful to know, time to dig out the proof of payment.

That is as would be expected. For a rcd type device, it is held on the 'on' position by an internal electromagnet. Without power being present, the electromagnet does not work and so it will not remain switched 'on'.

News to me mate. I think you're getting confused with some of the plug-in RCDs which are designed to drop out on loss of supply to prevent power tools, etc, starting when the supply is resumed. I don't know of any RCDs or RCBOs designed for fitting to a DB which need power to latch closed. If they did, householders all over the country would be having to re-set their RCDs and RCBOs on every power outage. (Maybe they are available as an option for some specific purposes.)

News to me mate. I think you're getting confused with some of the plug-in RCDs which are designed to drop out on loss of supply to prevent power tools, etc, starting when the supply is resumed. I don't know of any RCDs or RCBOs designed for fitting to a DB which need power to latch closed. If they did, householders all over the country would be having to re-set their RCDs and RCBOs on every power outage.

I was thinking that handysparks, but thought I had missed something, and they were talking about a specific type.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are saying that with the rcbo in your hand i.e. NOT connected to a power supply, you try to switch it from 'off' to 'on'. You are expecting it to remain in the 'on' position, but find that it doesn't, instead the switch automatically returns to the 'off' position.
That is as would be expected. For a rcd type device, it is held on the 'on' position by an internal electromagnet. Without power being present, the electromagnet does not work and so it will not remain switched 'on'. Try putting the rcbo into a board and apply power to the board. You will find that the rcbo will now hold in the 'on' position.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk

That's not how they work at all!! If you switch the RCBO on they should hold there exactly as you would expect from a normal MCB.... If they worked as you suggest, then they would drop out as soon as there was a loss of power, such as in a power cut!! The OP has a duff RCBO!! I don't care what manufacturer anyone uses, RCD devices are NOT as reliable as most expect them to be, they have a way to go yet, to be anywhere near as reliable as a MCBs...

That's not how they work at all!! If you switch the RCBO on they should hold there exactly as you would expect from a normal MCB.... If they worked as you suggest, then they would drop out as soon as there was a loss of power, such as in a power cut!! The OP has a duff RCBO!! I don't care what manufacturer anyone uses, RCD devices are NOT as reliable as most expect them to be, they have a way to go yet, to be anywhere near as reliable as a MCBs...

I have been quietly thinking this too...

Glad other more learned people have voiced the same thoughts!

I stand corrected then, if RCDs can hold in when no power is applied. Yet I'm sure I've come across at least one where it would not hold in until power was connected. It was either Mem Eaton or Wylex. I usually switch off MCBs and RCDs before cutting the power using the mainswitch, so not been in too many situations where there is no power and RCD has been on.

I think you are talking about what I believe are called active or passive rcd,s we have some weatherproof sockets at work with built in rcd,s and these trip if they lose power,these are called active rcd,s used to find then on caravan sites in the early days but not so common now as they trip out if the mains dips out for a second or two,tbh they can be a right pain at times.

Only active RCDs, the type generally fitted inline with extension leads or supplied as a plugin adapter and a few RCD protected socket outlets or connection units, have a powered hold-on characteristic. This is to prevent unexpected start-up of hand or portable tools after restoration of the interrupted supply.

Interestingly, I had a little fiddle with the RCBO this morning. I managed to get it to work again.
I basically pulled the switch outwards a little toward me and then lifted it up into the on position and it held and now it's consistently holding when I flick it up normally.

Most Odd. Had that with another couple but not as bad. Maybe it was a batch thing.

Reply to Hager RCBOs deciding not to hold in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock