Discuss Hairdryer in Bathroom in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I personally do not like 13A sockets in rooms with showers. See how damp and steamy the room gets after a long hot shower (steady on there SWD).

Happy to have whatever judgements slapped on me now :)

You are in Yorkshire so the loo is in a shed in the garden and the tin bath is in your living room in front of the gas fire, I bet there are a few sockets in close proximity.........

What course of action do members advise?

Get on with it :)
You are in Yorkshire so the loo is in a shed in the garden and the tin bath is in your living room in front of the gas fire, I bet there are a few sockets in close proximity.........
Or against the fence, and the women use the sink lol

Portable hedge trimmers aside. I once changed a BS1363 13A single socket outlet for a SFCU and hardwired a hairdrier 2 meters from the bath tub. I first shortened the lead to make sure that the hairdrier could not be droped in the bath.

The socket outside the bathroom door is technically outside the bathroom zones so not really a regs problem, the problem starts when the clients suffer from a level of derangement which might be beyond the scope of this forum but not in a court of law where you might be expected to take a view on the pschological state of the client...
ie...sleep with their pet angle grinder or hold arc welder parties in their birthday suits

What do you mean by technically as its physically outside the zone?

Sorry sir he hasn't breathed for the last two hours, oh so technically he's dead?!!

If you have a large well designed insulated bathroom with a decent extraction system, heated floor and mirror then there is no issue.

Don't all faint at once or call the Police but I have a double socket in the bathroom I may even post a photo up to whet your appetites for something similar..........

Hi - if Customer wants a socket outside beyond the bathroom door I'm sure that's fine and would be handy for hoovering the hall :) .

I managed to talk a customer out of having me install a shaver socket just for the toothbrush charger!
I used the polite quips from the recent thread and told them to charge the units in the bedroom and bring them to the bathroom to use and to store!
I got away with it, would have been a minger of a job and through new tiles too!
Thanks forum members, just for being so grumpy AND having common sense!

This is what I like about the regs , A socket has to be 3 meter away from the bath if its in the same room , but just because there is a door between the socket and the bath its ok ?. The reg would of been much better if it stated that all sockets must be fitted to prevent an hand held appliance with a 3 meter cord reaching the bath . Just checked mine the socket in my hall is 1 and 1/2 meters from the bath.:rolleyes:
Edit
Mrs Flander's hair dryer cord is just over 1 and 1/2 meters :rolleyes:

Calm down @DPG, you’re not writing a mills and boon novel!
I just don't like switches in bathrooms at all. Either normal light switches or switched sockets. Call me old fashioned but somebody dripping wet operating a switch in a steamy bathroom doesn't sit well to me.

What do you mean by technically as its physically outside the zone?

Sorry sir he hasn't breathed for the last two hours, oh so technically he's dead?!!

Well, technically you're right ...that's why I shortened the appliance lead from discouraging the misses from ----ing hairdrier into the bath while a played with my angle grinder.......

Well, technically you're right ...that's why I shortened the appliance lead from discouraging the misses from ****ing hairdrier into the bath while a played with my angle grinder.......
Give a few more years and you'll be extending the lead......... ;o))))

ha bloody ha. chrome dome my arse. have you know, i got a fullhead of hair ( small bald spot allowing) and missus wants me to have it cut before it's fit for a pony tail, topknot, or dreadlocks. so ner ner. ( goes to bathroom to refix the band on the pony tail).

ha bloody ha. chrome dome my arse. have you know, i got a fullhead of hair ( small bald spot allowing) and missus wants me to have it cut before it's fit for a pony tail, topknot, or dreadlocks. so ner ner. ( goes to bathroom to refix the band on the pony tail).
Bet you have an earring as well.........

Hairdryer in Bathroom Screenshot 2018-11-16 at 17.02.52 - EletriciansForums.net

Thanks for this link. The last paragraph says: "Never bring mains-powered portable appliances such as hairdryers, heaters or radios into a bathroom. You could be severely injured or killed." I'll fit the socket and pass the link onto the customer, so she knows there is a risk. The rewire includes an RCD protected consumer unit. So, even if she ignores the advice, she won't kill herself, my conscience will be clear and most importantly I'll be complying with the regulations!

Reply to Hairdryer in Bathroom in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock