Discuss Hairdryer in Bathroom in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Does the customers hair dryer lead actually reach the mirror? I bet there’s a 4m extension lead in the equation here somewhere.

If she had asked you for a socket for her hoover, and you didn’t know the door was to the bathroom, you wouldn’t be asking the question.

All aside, it’s within regs, whatever she wants to do with it.

I just don't like switches in bathrooms at all. Either normal light switches or switched sockets. Call me old fashioned but somebody dripping wet operating a switch in a steamy bathroom doesn't sit well to me.
Are you one of these people that go around the house and flick the socket switch to off as you don't want dust collecting on the red bit?

my hair is the envy of several local women
3ad03502e51940e8cc7e808ab452d8ea.jpg
yes I can see .

seems like we have a new member, supposedly nvq3 qualified, but disagrees with a few sensible posts. come on, norah., please explain.

I disagree with quite a few of the 'sensible' posts on this thread, as the fact of the matter is that across Europe and USA there are far more bathrooms with switches/sockets IN the bathroom than total number of all bathrooms in the UK. And it's not causing an issue.

So the moral argument for refusing to do the work despite it being technically allowable kinda falls down.

I don't understand why we're so uptight about the issue in this country. The overwhelming weight of evidence shows there is not a real life safety issue.

Also, how many people have a light switch just inside their front door that gets flipped with wet fingers if it's raining? Or for that matter the switch outside the bathroom as people leave!?

On another note, the air hose dryers are indeed a perfect solution. The problem is they're bloody ugly things and most people won't want them in their home.

I'm not sure why no one seems to make more attractive versions.

Having slightly wet fingers from rain is very different to being dripping wet after stepping out of the bath in a steamy bathroom though.

Pull-cord switch for me.

Having slightly wet fingers from rain is very different to being dripping wet after stepping out of the bath in a steamy bathroom though.

Pull-cord switch for me.

I disagree it's 'very' different. At the end of the day a fingertip only holds so much water, and it's either a droplet in the right place to run down the side of the switch onto the contacts, or it's not. The reality is that with several drops of water and a very determined effort, none of us would stand much chance of feeding it around the switch in such a way that the front of the switch becomes live.

As for steamy air... It's totally none conductive so not a factor in primary risk. The moisture can damage contacts and cause secondary problems but the presence of steamy air at the time won't increase the risk of a shock. Consider what has to happen for water particles to become airborne..

Note: we're talking about domestic voltage and steam. Lightning can flash across moist air and make some pretty decent displays.

The steam being non conductive may be technically correct. However it is continually condensing back into surface water. Hence steamy windows are actually very wet.

Not trying to cause an argument. Good discussion.

think the discussion is getting a bit off track. things in bathrooms OTT. you have a bath/shower on a birthday or at xmas, meantime who cares? it' s only occasional times when there's a risk.

The steam being non conductive may be technically correct. However it is continually condensing back into surface water. Hence steamy windows are actually very wet.

I don't have an issue in my bathroom, it has a decent centrifugal fan, the external wall is insulated and the mirror is fitted with a delisted and the floor is heated, the main issue is the design of the bathroom as people are too tight to pay for a decent job.

Not for the faint hearted pedants......

Screenshot 2018-11-18 at 12.13.25.jpg Screenshot 2018-11-18 at 12.13.12.jpg

Powered from a fused spur located in the airing cupboard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just don't hook up power to the window of a bathroom ;)

Yea it condenses on surfaces and can pool, but it won't condense inside a fitting and create a continuous path of moisture from the terminals to the outside parts.

Obviously placement of fittings is a consideration as water does pool in certain places.

There is no reason I can see that a switch inside a bathroom is anymore dangerous than one just outside the door. Albeit it does mean that correct ventilation becomes all the more important.

Fit the socket out side the bathroom rcd protected definately, you have some profit.Inform your customer that they must not use any portable electrical appliance in the bathroom. Stick to the law strictly to protect yourself. I pray most of these answers do not come from qualified electricians(except humorous ones).
Live Longer

Reply to Hairdryer in Bathroom in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net