Discuss Hall stairs and landing light problems in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
we are shortly moving into my parents old house, me and my partner have renovated the property over the last 18 months, we are now nearing completion, but have a problem with lighting on the stairway, there is a light just inside the front door with a double switch, upstairs on the landing is another light with a single switch, im 90% sure that the double switch downstairs has not been removed at anytime during the work, but the upstairs switch has, I replaced the upstairs switch and it turns the upstairs light on and off, but the downstairs double switch will only operate the downstairs light on and off, pic 1 is the wiring on the double downstairs, pic 2 is the upstairs switch wiring and pic 3 is the upstairs ceiling rose, any help to whats wrong would be very welcome, thanks in advance

Hall stairs and landing light problems 2809 004.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Hall stairs and landing light problems 2809 006.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Hall stairs and landing light problems 2809 007.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

That’s a two pole switch and isn’t suitable for two way switching. As Murdoch has said, get a local spark in to sort it out, won’t take long and shouldn’t cost a lot.

caustic comments aside, OP. you have fitted the wrong switch. please call in a local electrician to do it right, should not cost more than £60.

This is a very basic error, so please be careful with what you attempt in the electrical line and get advice wherever things do not seem right.
The switch should be a 1 gang two way light switch
and should probably be wired as two wire wiring. However be aware that the upstairs light will be connected to the downstairs lighting, possibly crossed over.
Hall stairs and landing light problems 2 way switch Line only - EletriciansForums.net

While the sparks is sorting out the light switch, I'd show him/her that ceiling rose, seems to be some bare copper wire there?

Perhaps all your wiring needs a bit of inspection.

What does the other switch on the two gang switch do? It looks to me like a borrowed neutral situation where the live is taken from the ground floor link over to the common and upstairs single and earth as switched wire. I would get that checked out.

hit it with a hammer. if it don't fix, then call an electrician.

You lot sound like you’ve been out ‘hand bag’ shopping - what cruel remarks. The OP is probably sitting in a puddle of his own tears at the woodwork remark!
As the ‘nasty’ men have said, get sparks in and get it remedied. The time you save can be spent sanding the woodwork - Doh, now you’ve got me doing it!

it's not the artex that;s rthe main issuer. did a plumber cut out for that switch using a kangoo?

a bit of culture added to the thread. after this, all will become clear. lve long and prosper.:

Reply to Hall stairs and landing light problems in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock