Discuss Halogen to LED downlight replacement. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gakure

-
Reaction score
Hi all, I have been asked to quote to replace existing Halogen 12V with LED downlights.
Do you guys have any recommendation, there are 37 of them.
I have seen some at Scewfix for £89 park of 10 and kews they have H2 for approximate £12 + VAT.
*would you charge per light or on hourly rates.

are you replacing the cans, or fitting GU10s into existing?

Depends on how much your client wishes to pay, and what spec of luminaire they want.

the sizeof the holes in the ceilings may limit your choice. 70mm is the most popular size of hole for choice of fittings.

I initially planned to replace the cans including transformers with a new 240v LED fitting with driver.
I was also shown a conversion kit which I have to remove (unscrew) from existing.

Is there any insulation that you will need to contend with? I would only fit fire rated luminaires, even those LAP ones from Screwfix you suggested are.

nope. just that they're the best i've ever used.

Too touchy, must be getting a backhander. Can't blame ya, us pensioners - I've got a few years left yet (before that crisis) - need to supplement our income; booze is getting expensive these days. Not sure our 'special relationship' will help, their beer is crap.

Thanks guys really appreciate.
Regarding insulation-they are all on ground floor ceiling and as I could see there is none.
Holes - they are approximately 61mm.

I find that it pays to do a bit of a recce to see if the transformers are singles to each light, that they are accessible and there is enough cable to ensure the conversion - if all that works in your favour then quote for a lamp of their choice (or what’s in the van x number they need) and the GU10 lamp holder. Factor in the time to do them and you have a price per conversion.. a nice little earner sometimes and always excellent results. (Beats chasing walls or attic work which I’ve mostly been doing of late!)

I find that it pays to do a bit of a recce to see if the transformers are singles to each light, that they are accessible and there is enough cable to ensure the conversion - if all that works in your favour then quote for a lamp of their choice (or what’s in the van x number they need) and the GU10 lamp holder. Factor in the time to do them and you have a price per conversion.. a nice little earner sometimes and always excellent results. (Beats chasing walls or attic work which I’ve mostly been doing of late!)
I pulled a couple and i just have enough of cable.
Thanks

Reply to Halogen to LED downlight replacement. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock