Discuss Hammers, Cold Chisel and Crow/Utility Bars in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

If it is quality and design,then Facom,Estwing take some beating with hammers and prybars, Cold chisels are a wider choice,as long as they are a recognised brand....a lot of mine,i made from scratch:)
Toyota half-shafts make crackers...

If it is quality and design,then Facom,Estwing take some beating with hammers and prybars, Cold chisels are a wider choice,as long as they are a recognised brand....a lot of mine,i made from scratch:)
Toyota half-shafts make crackers...

That reminds me, I need an Estwing claw hammer.

That reminds me, I need an Estwing claw hammer.

I have an extensive (sad) collection,of Estwings,and me all-time favourite,which has done all me own properties and much more,is the first of the rubber handled examples. Get one with straighter claws - it proves much more useful,and has never prevented any extraction.

If you want to guage,just how much i love it (and how much free time,a man can find,for tools...) last year,i blued it,to the same colour as me Browning shotgun :) ...and although it is not a particularly hard-wearing finish...it did look groovy,for a while :rolleyes:

I have an extensive (sad) collection,of Estwings,and me all-time favourite,which has done all me own properties and much more,is the first of the rubber handled examples. Get one with straighter claws - it proves much more useful,and has never prevented any extraction.

If you want to guage,just how much i love it (and how much free time,a man can find,for tools...) last year,i blued it,to the same colour as me Browning shotgun :) ...and although it is not a particularly hard-wearing finish...it did look groovy,for a while :rolleyes:

Yes, was gonna go for a straight clawed one. Really like that feature in my mate's new Wiha electrician's hammer I had a go with lately. It's just too light for me though.
Wanted an Estwing since I asked a joiner about his leather handled beauty many years back. He talked at length about it, and I figured that any tool worthy of that much admiration had to be on my list.

I will have a look at those hammers. I would rather buy quality, that will last. What utility and lever bars would you recommend, I only posted that brand because it seemed a good deal. I know a lot use 7” utility bars for floorboards etc.

Also with the spirit levels, any particular sizes?

I will have a look at those hammers. I would rather buy quality, that will last. What utility and lever bars would you recommend, I only posted that brand because it seemed a good deal. I know a lot use 7” utility bars for floorboards etc.

Also with the spirit levels, any particular sizes?

I use the flat lever bars as in that set. Just cheap ones from toolstation though.
Level lengths depend on what you are doing. Get some lengthy ones if you are doing a lot of kitchen fits, but a boat level for the bag and a 600mm one will do for general duties. Don't forget to consider magnetic ones for the shorter ones.

Don't bother...unless you are doing heavy framing,,,and want to do it from the comfort of home:rolleyes:

It's more use as a walking stick (get one in your hand,and tell me i'm wrong) Also,avoid the fibreglass handled variety,with the square face...they look mega cool,but are not as easy to use,and are very damaging,on any substrate.

A good weight range,is 20 to 22oz ,very light and very heavy hammers,are useful for only a few jobs,but the above will do owt...mine has done 3/8ths pins,in a 1900's microscope slide box...and 3" cut clasps,in oak joists...so most things covered;)

Don't bother...unless you are doing heavy framing,,,and want to do it from the comfort of home:rolleyes:

It's more use as a walking stick (get one in your hand,and tell me i'm wrong) Also,avoid the fibreglass handled variety,with the square face...they look mega cool,but are not as easy to use,and are very damaging,on any substrate.

A good weight range,is 20 to 22oz ,very light and very heavy hammers,are useful for only a few jobs,but the above will do owt...mine has done 3/8ths pins,in a 1900's microscope slide box...and 3" cut clasps,in oak joists...so most things covered;)

It did look good, this one or one of the black ones look a nice piece of kit: Estwing Hammer (19oz) Ultra Lite Framing Hammer - https://www.its.co.uk/pd/E619S-Estwing-Hammer-19oz-Ultra-Lite-Framing-Hammer-_ESTE619S.htm

I am still not sure about Cold Chisels as I dont have enough atm for an SDS.: Estwing Club Hammer (4lb) - https://www.its.co.uk/pd/EB34LB-Estwing-Club-Hammer-4lb-_ESTEB34LB.htm

That don't look bad,but bit light for me...magnet in head,will annoy you,pulling allsorts out of any tool bag:)
The 4 lb lump is a good call...any bricky with an eye for good kit,has one.
Never had but one problem,with Estwing kit,in many years of use...and that's stopping it walking:rolleyes:

That don't look bad,but bit light for me...magnet in head,will annoy you,pulling allsorts out of any tool bag:)
The 4 lb lump is a good call...any bricky with an eye for good kit,has one.
Never had but one problem,with Estwing kit,in many years of use...and that's stopping it walking:rolleyes:

I will put the lump hammer on the list as it looks good quality, what framing hammer would you recommend, on ITS?

Hard call to make,on someone else's behalf,but looking at the type of framing UK side,it is lighter stuff,than our yankee friends,which is where all lot of the lovely gear comes from.
So it's 4 x 2,some boarding,arch,etc,noggins (i hope;)) it will not need a sledge hammer,and there will be tight,short stroke skews,to go in sole,head,and noggins,so you won't want a fishing rod.

The standard of construction timber,in the UK,can be poss pirr,so you will be spragging and levering - thus a straight claw is a boon,whether used normally,or twisting. A round face,means more forgiving,and can easily do 2nd fix,finish and trim.

Like i said,it is a personal choice....may well have took more time finding and selecting my own hammers,than a good few of my old girlfriends :eek: but there lies another lengthy tome...:rolleyes:

Reply to Hammers, Cold Chisel and Crow/Utility Bars in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net