Discuss Hardwiring Microwave in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

Adr Co

Hi

The property i moved into recently has the microwave cable joined to the mains cable within the wall/trunking

It is located within the kitchen units so I am imagining that this cable was originally intended for an oven or other such appliance

The plug was simply cut off the microwave and joined to the mains cable via a simple strip connector

I was wondering if it is safe to install my new microwave the same way?

Thanks for your help in advance

strip connectors are prone to failed contact and/or overheating. any failure could result in the wall becoming "LIVE" and a danger. they should NEVER be buried in walls. also, your plug on the appliance contains a fuse to protect the appliance flex from damage through overload or short circuit. you will not have this protection as you have described how it is at present.

By mains cable I assume you mean some T/E as part of your installation.

Besides flouting more regs than I can think of, there would be no cable clamping on the flex meaning just moving the appliance could result in a bang and the actual flex itself would not be sufficiently protected against overcurrent. Do what Tel said, get someone in to fit a plug and socket, won't be expensive

strip connectors are prone to failed contact and/or overheating. any failure could result in the wall becoming "LIVE" and a danger. they should NEVER be buried in walls. also, your plug on the appliance contains a fuse to protect the appliance flex from damage through overload or short circuit. you will not have this protection as you have described how it is at present.

The mains cable projects about 8" from the wall so the strip connector isnt buried, i would be more comfortable using the plug/fuse as you have suggested though .... would the electrician be able to use the mains cable thats currently there to wire up a new socket? Is this a difficult task?

should be a simple job as long as there are no issues with the wiring. e.g. if fitting a socket, an electrician needs to ensure a few other things before he can test and issue a certificate. like earthing and bonding, presence of RCD protection etc. job could be a simple £60 ish, or could run a lot higher if there are issues. call round a couple of local sparks. quotes are usually free.

Reply to Hardwiring Microwave in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock