Discuss Hate my new job! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Just landed a new job. It's only been 4 days and I'm about to quit today. The role involves working on gas meters (wall testing).

They want me to manually take readings from 20 gas meters on a wall. Each meter has about 15 data information which i need to type into a tablet held by my left hand. After holding the tablet for 30 min my left arm felt it was about to rip off.

They want me to do this daily! Forget that I'm a electronics / electrical engineer HNC qualified! This has to be the most boring job that I've ever encountered!!

The job spec could have been much clearer what a wast of my precious time. It did mention about electronics being involved but looking at my team they are all bunch of software engineers dressed in shirt and pants in an office environment so is my work desk to.

My biggest mistake was that I didn't ask for a tour of their factory during my interview or they didn't offer it themselves.

Sorry for any spelling mistake!

as above.. Great idea...
If you do take pics then don't bin them afterwards. Stick the pics on a hard drive just in case something goes wrong and someone accuses you of putting the wrong readings down.

The job spec could have been much clearer what a wast of my precious time. It did mention about electronics being involved but looking at my team they are all bunch of software engineers dressed in shirt and pants in an office environment so is my work desk to.

are they all female, 20 and scanavian?

One of my first jobs when a lad of 17 was to go around the whole site and take readings of all the electric meters with a pen and paper !!. It took about 90 mins and that included a wee snoozette in the sub no3, it had the best heating always about 25 degrees even in the depths of winter. Every cloud etc etc

Unfortunately no lol all males :-(,

just a word with HR told her I am finding the job unchallenging or politely trying to say it is bloody boring!!

I have a meeting with my manager and the HR manager on Monday.

Hopefully they will define clearly what my role will involve and through this I can make a clear decision to stay or not. I've already applied else where as a backup.

Feels like a living nightmare!

All depends on the cash involved....can't be big money for meter reading...can it??

Mind you, if it's round Owdum :tongue3:

Sounds like a good job. Take brain out and put in locker. Bluetooth phone to brain. Set GPS tracker on phone. (to get back to locker after rounds). Put phone in pocket. Do job. Follow GPS on phone back to locker. Put brain back in. Collect money. Go home. OOH EEM GEE that was a hard day at work.

Reply to Hate my new job! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock