Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Have I got the wrong Inverter? in the Solar PV Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. lydart

lydart Guest

I ordered 16 x Sanyo HIT-240SE10 with a SMA 4000TL back in October last year, but due to all the FIT problems my supplier could only source HIT-235SE10 panels. No big deal and the installation went ahead on 241111. During the installation I noticed that they had installed a 3000TL so I called their sales office and they apologized for not telling me about the switch but assured me that the3000TL was a better choice for the system. I wasn’t happy, but with 12[SUP]th[/SUP]Dec looming I accepted the 3000TL and the final bill was reduced to reflect the change in equipment. I have been very happy with the installation and have been pleased to see the generation increase almost on a daily basis as the days lengthen. All was fine until today when the inverter maxed out at 3kW from12:00 to 15:00 and this is only February.

Am I looking at this happening every sunny day until November?

Is this OK or should the inverter be changed?

Regards Mike

Location:Edinburgh Facing 210[SUP]0[/SUP], Pitch 45[SUP]0[/SUP]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2012
  2. pvman

pvman Electrician's Arms

The inverter is undersized, the max input for the inverter is 3200W DC. To be fair to the installer pre 12th December was a crazy time and inverters were hard to get hold of but they should give you a more suitable inverter.

You will find that often the highest output occurs in March when there is good sun and low tempretures.

3. babba

babba Regular EF Member

Lots of people undersize, to much of sma software imo.
    Most of your energy is produced in the bright long sunny days not in dark short days.
    A company I know ..16 sharp 245w spec SB 3000 HF...16 sharp 250w spec SB 4000TL...?????
    Cant work this one out myself.

4. pvman

pvman Electrician's Arms

I think people look at the Sunny Design software see the green ticks and assume that the inverter is correct and don't take any notice of the max dc input.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jupestar

jupestar Regular EF Member

Undersizing is quite common but that seems a bit small.. would probably have been worth getting the larger one, but times were hard. Difficult to get stock. Even now its becoming a full time job sourcing inverters... Right now i'd happily swap one of the 4000TL in stock for a 3000TL i can't find....

6. moggy1968

moggy1968 Electrician's Arms

bearing in mind your geographic location and orientation of your roof I would say a 4000TL is too much wheras a 3.6 inverter of some description would be ideal.

7. Somecamel

Somecamel Solar Guru

SMA 3800 16amp limited would be perfect

8. FB.

FB. Electrician's Arms

I agree with moggy - your current 3kW inverter is a bit too small. A 4kW is a little oversized. A 3.6kW inverter would be ideal (of which there are several; I have an Aurora 3.6).

My SouthEast-facing, 40-degree roof, 3.75kWp with 3.6kW Aurora inverter peaks out around 2.5kW at the moment, so there's still plenty more power to come as summer approaches and if you're maxed-out at the moment, you'll be losing about 25% of your potential in summer.

9. moggy1968

the efficiency of the 3800 is poor compared to other more modern inverters. IT's basically an older model and there are better ones out there

10. Somecamel

Somecamel Solar Guru

Really? I thought it was introduced to bridge the 3.68kW Limit as there wasn't an ideal SMA inverter for these?

11. moggy1968

It was an emergency measure while the were waiting for the 3600TL to be released.
    They were very slow filling the essential 3.6 market, it was a real gap in their range

12. Somecamel

Somecamel Solar Guru

I stand informed:) Cheers:)

13. babba

babba Regular EF Member

Think it is limited to 3.68.... 15A..only SMA that are any good TL the rest are crp...POWER ONE for me..

14. Somecamel

Somecamel Solar Guru

I am a big fan of the power one inverters as well. Very Versatile duel MPPT and able to cope with uneven strings.

Found the Power one inverter config webpage if anyone is interested Power-One String Tool

15. GaryM

GaryM Guest

It's 16A.

So you don't rate the Fronius IG TL 3.6? Any particular reason?