Discuss Hazardous Area / RCBO use in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

riotmaster

I've heard somewhere along the line that using Schneider / Merlin Gerin RCBO's is not recommended for RCD protection, in my case I'm referring specifically for protection of circuits within hazardous areas. Infact, I believe in the same conversation there was mention that RCBO's had been banned in France due to the same reason, that of a fault within the RCD part of the RCBO.
Trouble is, I cant remember who I had the conversation with as it was a while ago, but if someone can either back me up, put me right or otherwise that would be really helpful! (And a link to some info would be brill, though I arent expecting so)
Thanks in advance all for any responses.

Most RCBO devices are single pole solid neutral, thus in the event of any fault which is detected & disconnected by the RCD element the neutral conductor will remain connected to the supply.
Perhaps this is the reason?
This is not restricted to Schneider group products though.

There are plenty of DP RCBO's out there, and MG have always been recognised as a premium electrical supplier of protective devices from LV to MV. Having said that, i have never put full confidence of reliability in any RCD device no matter who's manufacturer they are from.... I've not heard of this recommendation within hazardous areas either!!

Reply to Hazardous Area / RCBO use in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I had a call to a new customer who was experiencing what sounded like nuisance tripping on a kitchen ring. Some background first. It's an MK LN...
Replies
Views
I'm planning a replacement for my existing domestic CU and would like to have it sanity checked before I get an electrician involved. The main...
Replies
Views
Good morning all, My first post on here! Be kind :) I have had a customer come to me who has a care home for the elderly. I have not carried...
Replies
Views
Long time lurker so this may be my first question. I am a qualified electrical engineer, but in aeronautics not domestic installations, and I may...
Replies
Views
Hi all,looking for some pointers to an RCD problem, I work entirely on large poultry farms, I've only been in post a year, at some point before I...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock