Discuss Head for heights needed for this job... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

oh my god ive just broke out in a sweat seriously and im only to the bit were he climbs onto the top.... not for me that job im affraid

Must have nerves of steel!!

I've seen this vid clip before, makes you feel wobbly just watching him climb!! What a way to earn a living, i couldn't do it even for Big Bucks, i'd be OK (just) in the caged area, but sod going outside of it ...lol!!!

I'm a mountaineer and have sat on ledges a mile up a rock-face,
but at least when climbing there is a rope on me the whole time......

Tomorrow I'm going to watch it on the 60" flat screen
:)

jesus christ i remember doing some wood climbing thing where you get to the top and it wobbles alot he must be moving around a fair bit up there :s
my heart is just racing looking at it no way in hell anyone could get me up there without a decent harness and even then wouldnt leave the caged bit.

As been said, ...at that sort of height that thing must have been wobbling like mad, especially with 2 of them making the whole thing out of balance at the top there!!

You really need some bloody big balls to free climb on a tall thin swaying structure like that!!

It's all about perception though, isn't it? I'm no more likely to fall off a ladder at 30' than 300' (assuming the conditions don't change) it's just our perception of danger is greater. That having been said, like Supa I too have done my fair share of falling off rock faces and all kinds of silly beggars, but I think I'll pass on this, thanks all the same!

Oh, and what in my experience of climbing on struts and the like is the more difficult bit is going back down!

It's all about perception though, isn't it? I'm no more likely to fall off a ladder at 30' than 300' (assuming the conditions don't change) it's just our perception of danger is greater. That having been said, like Supa I too have done my fair share of falling off rock faces and all kinds of silly beggars, but I think I'll pass on this, thanks all the same!

Oh, and what in my experience of climbing on struts and the like is the more difficult bit is going back down!

I agree entirely..

Place a row of bricks on the ground, ends on, and we'd all be able to walk along them without problem.
Translate that into being even 50 feet off the ground and most people would struggle.

Probably one of the reasons they always say 'Never look down'

The thing about that tower is that the only thing keeping it standing is steel guide ropes!! Any movement from climbing such a thin structure will cause more and more unbalance the further up you climb. So apart from anything else you need to have a dam good balance to counter act the movement on the tower itself. Even substantial buildings actually sway in the wind. When i lived in Hong Kong, i was living on the 46th floor of a 54 storey building, there were times when you could feel the sway of the building, but more so when on the roof... This thin tower is a dammed sight higher than that building, and will have a far greater deflection at over 1700 feet. There was a very good reason the second guy on that mast needed to steady his tool bag. In free air and swaying on a rope in relation to the mast movement would have unbalanced him and enhanced the sway of the mast itself... Anyway, that's not my idea of work, that to me is a risk too far!! I wonder if they get ''Danger Money'' for being complete idiots??? lol!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
tbh, I wonder (what with it being the States an' all) if that in 'normal' maintenance mode they don't just access via helicopter, without the HotShots part Tre camera attached to his head?

Not a job for me! You'd certainly have to make sure you didn't drop one of the fixing screws...

I gather that when this was first posted on the web, at least one of the climbers tried to get it pulled.

They broke so many safety rules, that when the mast company saw the video, they immediately fired them. Their insurance company also cancelled their policy.

That's a big price to pay for fifteen minutes of fame.

Reply to Head for heights needed for this job... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net