Discuss Headlight relay issue in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

campervanman

Hello and thanks for any advice offered. I've just joined so if I'm breaking any rules please forgive...

My issue relates to my Renault Trafic campervan. 1989.

I've incorporated two relays (one for dipped/one for main beam) into the headlight circuit to increase the light offered by my lamps.
The power for the two relays comes via a fuse box, then from the battery directly. The switch circuit for the relay I've taken from the wires which previously went to the headlights. And obviously the cablng for the headlights, direct from the relay. I'm using Bosch double 87 pin relays.
I now have an issue with the sidelights which are not incorporated within this relay circuit at all. When ignition is OFF sidelights work, dipped and main beam lights wwork fine. Howeever when I switch on the ignition to power the engine the sidelights only work with dipped beam! So sidelights switched on= sidelights and dipped beam work. Dipped beam switched on= dipped beam. And main beam switched on= main beam. I simply can't work out why the sidelights don't work as before and on their own.
If I've not ecxplained myself full please let me knoww, but any help with this issue would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance...

dip and main beams should only operate when ignition is switched on.......only side lights should work with no ignition, sound like you have the relays connected to the wrong circuit

Definitely side lights. Housed within the headlamp but wired separately. Not positioning/indicators.

Thanks

From your description, it sounds like your lights are working correctly.
Position lamps are intended to be used when a vehicle is stationary or parked in the hours of darkness on un lit or poorly lit roads.
Side lights are separate from the headlamps and may be used while driving when it is not required for headlamps to be lit.

The worrying thing is that this is not how my lights operated before my fitting relays... I could drive with sidelights only, not that I would want to under most circumstances. My other concern is how would it affect the MOT?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by darkwood; 2 Hours Ago at 11:08 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling (eddect to effect) ;)
Although it should be affect!

Last edited by darkwood; 2 Hours Ago at 11:08 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling (eddect to effect) ;)
Although it should be affect!

Totally missed that lol - did it off my phone and became the victim of predictive texting 'twice'...Note to self..proof read :shocked3:

Last edited:
Hi dude,you say you have added two relays,one for dipped,one for main,this means the o/s and n/s headlights are receiving parallel feeds,is this how they are originally fused?
Your sidelights will be fused n/s and o/s,whilst the main lights may or may not...

There should originally be OEM relays for the main lights,which are now only loaded by the coils of your relays,so a bit too much redundancy going on there....can you not search for the reason why there is a voltage drop/high resistance on the circuit?

Some of our french vehicle wiring can be dubious,to say the least,with Peugeot winning trophies for the "least amount of copper in a wire to still ensure conducting"...competition. :sad:

Hi dude,you say you have added two relays,one for dipped,one for main,this means the o/s and n/s headlights are receiving parallel feeds,is this how they are originally fused?
Your sidelights will be fused n/s and o/s,whilst the main lights may or may not...

There should originally be OEM relays for the main lights,which are now only loaded by the coils of your relays,so a bit too much redundancy going on there....can you not search for the reason why there is a voltage drop/high resistance on the circuit?

Some of our french vehicle wiring can be dubious,to say the least,with Peugeot winning trophies for the "least amount of copper in a wire to still ensure conducting"...competition. :sad:

usually problems arise in auto lighting due to faulty grounding connections (straps being corroded or loose) or weak intermittent shorting(had this happen on my truck, lead from the alternator fell against the exhaust manifold and partially burned through the insulation, it was a trial to find i found it when i saw a small spark when i moved the wire)

long time ago before i became an electrician!

Reply to Headlight relay issue in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock