Discuss health and safety at work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

elsparko

this man was relatively unknown to me till today, from what ive seen he seems a bit on the mental side

i know there is folk that ---- and moan about health and safety but can see why access equipment is all the rage nowadays

i refuse to go up ladders if the building is above 2 stories nowadays, cant get the staff to hold the bottom , this guy is climbing vertical on ladders that are only secured on the bottom, and held by a metal pin chapped into a wooden block inside a hole (old rawl plugs) until he secures the top pin, no safety rope either

hes either brave or stupid, or both, i realise this was filmed in the 70s/80s but shirley some common sense tells folk that standing near a chimney/tower that is being demolished is potentially not good for your life expectancy?

even if you offered me a million in cash per hour i would not do what he does/did

he only charged 7k for taking down a huge chimney 1 brick at a time from the top down

got to use a shitty scaffold tomorrow for a 2 man job and im dreading that, never mind having to set up on a chimney though.

this man was relatively unknown to me till today, from what ive seen he seems a bit on the mental side

i know there is folk that **** and moan about health and safety but can see why access equipment is all the rage nowadays

i refuse to go up ladders if the building is above 2 stories nowadays, cant get the staff to hold the bottom , this guy is climbing vertical on ladders that are only secured on the bottom, and held by a metal pin chapped into a wooden block inside a hole (old rawl plugs) until he secures the top pin, no safety rope either

hes either brave or stupid, or both, i realise this was filmed in the 70s/80s but shirley some common sense tells folk that standing near a chimney/tower that is being demolished is potentially not good for your life expectancy?

even if you offered me a million in cash per hour i would not do what he does/did

he only charged 7k for taking down a huge chimney 1 brick at a time from the top down

got to use a shitty scaffold tomorrow for a 2 man job and im dreading that, never mind having to set up on a chimney though.
Where is Shirley?

Watching him scaffold this chimney makes me shudder:

and held by a metal pin chapped into a wooden block inside a hole

Much like climbers do today, without the wooden block.
A safety rope would have been no good at that height, you'd be dead from suspension trauma in the harness (20 mins or so) by the time someone got up to you.

He wasn't mental, what he did was very common up to his time.

Anothe Dibnah fan here.

i still think its a bit stupid regardless of how good he is at his job to have been up there on ladders when there is access equipment that would SHIRLEY be easier to work from and much safer

Id need to be paid with a planet twice the size of the sun just to tempt me to go up those ladders

At risk of sounding like an anorak, the Land Rover in the video is W reg (1980-81)I’d say that was filmed in the early to mid 90s
He was a legend who spoke his mind and knew his stuff!
Would you climb up this....?
absolutely not, im getting vertigo just watching him up there with all that weight on his back, nutter

Are we pricing our selves out of these jobs -Due to RED tape-
( to competition that has yet to translate the HSE regs )
....We did take risks in the past with Loco boilers ....
When it was about staying ahead of the competition.
I wonder if hang-gliding is still as popular !

if someone is willing to sway about 200ft in the air without a harness/access equipment then they can have the job LOL

think of all the humphing of tools up and down the ladder too, id rather be priced out of a job than die as a result of cutting corners to save dough

i dont want customers who dont want it done right

i still think its a bit stupid regardless of how good he is at his job to have been up there on ladders when there is access equipment that would SHIRLEY be easier to work from and much safer

Id need to be paid with a planet twice the size of the sun just to tempt me to go up those ladders
I knew Fred pretty well. Although many people think he lived on the edge, in fact, he was a stickler for ensuring the safest way to carry out his work. He did things his own way...did he?...He was taught to do his job by others, who knew the correct way to go about things with the equipment available. Just take a look at some of the scaffolding he put together. Sometimes at great heights, yes...but done with great skill and means in times when it was necessary. Methods and safety standards may have changed during his working life but did he ever suffer any serious accidental injury? No. Work done in a safe manner, much more so than some of the things we come across today.

Indeed. Steeplejacking the way Fred did it, was not about saving dough or cutting corners. Feats of strength and endurance were needed in the days before telescopic booms etc, and he was simply carrying on doing it that way because he was highly competent at it. His attitude and approach don't sit well with modern management strategy, but they worked.

There are workers who can knock in ten thousand nails without once hitting their fingers, or drill a thousand holes without one being out of place or out of round. This is the same but more so; a kind of mental and physical certainty in one's actions and a self-reliance born of that certainty, the likes of which we only normally see demonstrated by the very best sportsmen and women.

The impeccable control of a top snooker player comes to mind, except that Fred played snooker with scaffold boards 300 ft in the air, perched on a ladder in all winds and weathers, which takes a different kind of balls.

Remember working on a Wates site in 2010, absolutely sh*t hot on health and safety! Gloves, safety specs, hard hats worn at all times....no exceptions. They were more concerned with that than any issues with completing the job! A plumber was chucked off site for refusing to wear his hat when connecting the taps under the bath!
I used to get headaches wearing the specs and inevitably the dust on site would stick to the plastic, you ended up cutting the fingers off the gloves so you could feel what you were doing, the hard hat would mark the painted ceiling when connecting light fittings that had awkward grub screws in them.
Some months later in winter time, some labourers were carrying materials from out side to inside. As the lads were perspiring the safety specs were steaming up from the temperature change going in and our frequently. One of them tripped over and claimed he couldn’t see properly because of the specs.....the rule was lifted by the end of the day...eye protection to be worn when necessary!
Common sense should apply to Health and Safety

It normally does but there's some self important ****s out there who think they know better and have no common sense.
too true.one sweltering august, roofers rdfused to wear hard hats on the roof, as the only thing that could hit them on the head was a turd from the bog of a 747. H&S ----- kicked off, so the whole gang (20+) downed tools. main contractor blew a gasket.losing £20k/day so H&S pratt was replaced.

I knew Fred pretty well. Although many people think he lived on the edge, in fact, he was a stickler for ensuring the safest way to carry out his work. He did things his own way...did he?...He was taught to do his job by others, who knew the correct way to go about things with the equipment available. Just take a look at some of the scaffolding he put together. Sometimes at great heights, yes...but done with great skill and means in times when it was necessary. Methods and safety standards may have changed during his working life but did he ever suffer any serious accidental injury? No. Work done in a safe manner, much more so than some of the things we come across today.
all it would of taken would of been a slip, as fred says himself in one of the videos, i still respect this bloke from what ive seen, he did a hard job for a fair price

Remember working on a Wates site in 2010, absolutely sh*t hot on health and safety! Gloves, safety specs, hard hats worn at all times....no exceptions. They were more concerned with that than any issues with completing the job! A plumber was chucked off site for refusing to wear his hat when connecting the taps under the bath!
I used to get headaches wearing the specs and inevitably the dust on site would stick to the plastic, you ended up cutting the fingers off the gloves so you could feel what you were doing, the hard hat would mark the painted ceiling when connecting light fittings that had awkward grub screws in them.
Some months later in winter time, some labourers were carrying materials from out side to inside. As the lads were perspiring the safety specs were steaming up from the temperature change going in and our frequently. One of them tripped over and claimed he couldn’t see properly because of the specs.....the rule was lifted by the end of the day...eye protection to be worn when necessary!
Common sense should apply to Health and Safety
yea ive been on sites where gloves/specs/hat and boots are mandatory , i was walking to the container one day and got ---- for not having my specs on, like really?!?! im just walking to the container for a shmoke, guy almost started crying as if i had just dragged a dead body to his feet and asked him to deal with it.

cant smoke in the explosive atmosphere, but grinders spewing out hot metal are fiiiiine, gas torches for plumbers? absoloutely fine, a tab for shmokes? nope!

you need to see that in the 60's and 70's when Fred was at his peak, it was not possible to get 300ft cranes/telecsopic hoists etc. any where near those chimneys due to access difficulty. even if they could, the cost would have been prohibitive.

Reply to health and safety at work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock