Discuss Heat Pumps & Building Regs - New Build in the Solar Thermal Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Does anybody know what the rules are concerning new builds and heating systems. Currently going through planning application for a new build and I have heard that gas central heating systems are no longer allowed by a guy from the council and that we need to have a heat pump system installed.

Any information would be great.

Cheers

I think you might find that sort of thing council-dependent. Might be wrong though somebody might know more.

Maybe something to do with your local building control. I'm wiring two new build bungalows atm that have gas combi boilers.

I'm also looking on the plumbers forum for more info ha. Just seen your post.

I think you might find that sort of thing council-dependent. Might be wrong though somebody might know more.

I'm with Wiltshire council, but finding it hard to find any specific information online. Annoying really because I don't want a large unit on the house and I don't plan to live in it for too long so won't really see any financial benefit from it.

Hi guys,

Does anybody know what the rules are concerning new builds and heating systems. Currently going through planning application for a new build and I have heard that gas central heating systems are no longer allowed by a guy from the council and that we need to have a heat pump system installed.

Any information would be great.

Cheers

Not true, gas central heating your best option if on mains gas, and worst option if LPG !

All councils had to update their planning standards / building regs to meet a social housing standard that they applied to everyone called the code for sustainable home level 4. That code now disbanded, though the energy efficiency levels adopted.

Meeting Level 4 means that unless you have a very careful, detail orientated builder then you'll almost certaily need some renewables. - The cheapest is PV.

Some local authorities have a planning policy that REQUIRES a minimum of 10% renewable, once again cheapest way is PV.

Also if you've got a para 55 property it will almost certainly have to be carbon neutral, so a heat pump may be de-facto then only solution

With a good builder you can get to level 4 without renewables, by ensuring a high quality of build:
Good levels of insulation, careful attention tp thermal bridging and a low air leakage rate of <2 m3/m2/hr, you'll then need to include MVHR, which can easily cost more than PV :) However your ongoing energy costs will be very low.

Watch out for your architect though, if they specify ian HP n the sap calcs to get the energy consumption down, you'll have no option but to include it.

Postion in Scotland is different as we have our own building regs. These were revised last October as the equivalent of the code for sustainable homes has not been abandoned.

Adding PV to new build is currently the most cost effective way of meeting the standard. Ironically, volume builders in Scotland have now discovered that they can increase the amount of PV and decrease other fabric measures and hit the standard. This is not what was intended and needs to be dealt with urgently. Crappy new homes with PV is not the answer. Fab new homes with PV is.

The software used by many architects to calculate the energy efficiency requirements is pretty naff and works on a hierachical model. Adding PV is pretty near the bottom of that hierachy, which is why you may see idiot installations of 0.5kWp.

In all this you need informed clients and good architects who dont simply take the line of least resistance. When you work with a truely gifted architect, it is bliss.

We are now retained by a number of architectural practices as their renewable energy / sustainability consultants, gets us involved in some great projects, makes them think straight and build-able :), also means that we have a couple of bleeding edge projects in the pipeline as well.

It's like passiv haus - too much of that is ticking boxes and there are now far better (and more cost effective) ways to make energy efficient and sustainable properties.

Reply to Heat Pumps & Building Regs - New Build in the Solar Thermal Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net