Discuss Heating for cattery in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

So I've got a client who is setting up a small cattery. They would like each cats "pen" to have "backgound" heating.

I'm thinking along the lines of tube type heaters with a recommendation for the heater guards.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

cattery near to me has tube heaters in each pen. think they're only about 80watts. can check if you like.

Tube heaters look good not to hot for the moggies, although the one we had nearly always slept in the fire when it was cold dippy thing

Yes tube heaters are the way to go and nice and safe, I think the wattage increases with the length of tube, but don't get stung with the guards as they can cost as much as the tubes.

Tubular heating is what I would also recommend wired on frost stats set at 10 c, the bedding the cats sit in would add to the comfort level and 10 c would be adequate IMO, that said very small under floor heating mats could also be an option if the conditions were suitible and the cat houses sizeable enough, the smallest mat is about 2ft square and 150 watts from memory.

but don't get stung with the guards as they can cost as much as the tubes.

Why do people pay the extortionate amounts for these things and metal cages for florrie fittings etc, you can get the same product made for a fraction of the cost at a local metal fabricators.

Why do people pay the extortionate amounts for these things and metal cages for florrie fittings etc, you can get the same product made for a fraction of the cost at a local metal fabricators.

I learned my lesson mate when I installed about 6 x 5ft and took a punt on the price of the guard, wholesalers were shut if memory serves me. anyway went to pick gear up and nearly fell over at the cost of the guards, they may have actually been more expensive than the heaters. If i can dig the invoice out i will confirm.

Tubular heating is what I would also recommend wired on frost stats set at 10 c, the bedding the cats sit in would add to the comfort level and 10 c would be adequate IMO, that said very small under floor heating mats could also be an option if the conditions were suitible and the cat houses sizeable enough, the smallest mat is about 2ft square and 150 watts from memory.

would a cat be inclined to scratch through the mat and damage it

If you're feeling inventive you could use a ELV trace heater tape and put some steel capping over it. Maybe try the wetpants forum for their recommendations.

default.jpeg

One near me has underfloor.

ps it was fitted by a spark years ago that apparently joined Mensa and was then recruited to work for the "Government" as a rocket scientist, in a "six black range rovers turn up outside with suits" style.

mustve been a bright spark.

I learned my lesson mate when I installed about 6 x 5ft and took a punt on the price of the guard, wholesalers were shut if memory serves me. anyway went to pick gear up and nearly fell over at the cost of the guards, they may have actually been more expensive than the heaters. If i can dig the invoice out i will confirm.

I used to make my own guards out of Galv mesh and some 3x2 lol, Screwed to the wall cheap and effective

One near me has underfloor.

ps it was fitted by a spark years ago that apparently joined Mensa and was then recruited to work for the "Government" as a rocket scientist, in a "six black range rovers turn up outside with suits" style.

mustve been a bright spark.

yeah that was me, but it was actually 8 range rovers and a helicopter

Reply to Heating for cattery in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net