Discuss Heating help, radiators and underfloor in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi fellas,
Usually do alot of industrial work but have taken on a house for a mate, have all the house wired other than the heating, quite new to wiring domestic heating systems and have very little experience to it, I been looking for wiring drawings to make sure I don't leave anything out as the boarders are coming next week but can't seem to find anything online, basically it is a Grant vortex combo boiler outside, with built it frost stat, underfloor heating down stairs with 3 stats controlling it, and radiators upstairs with the one stat controlling it, basically only info I can get out of plumber is that there is 2 motorised valves positioned down stairs (one for underfloor and one for radiators) and one motorised valve upstairs in hot press for the HW, also it's a 3 channel time clock, any wiring diagram would be greatly appreciated as this is first time I have done any wiring of heating and really don't want to miss anything, thanks

a guy on here, leesparkykent, is well versed in heating controls.so are several other members. wait a while till they come on. my knowledge of heating is limited to chucking another log on the fire if it gets cold. :D

Have you looked at the manual? :)

http://tinyurl.com/zc5to5e
Thanks archy, have came across that but seems to be a bit vague as far as the info goes for the differs valves and the 3 channel time clock and nothing about the underfloor heating, if i could get a bit more detail on it it would be great.
I did find this kind of wiring diagram which makes a lot more sense, https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/files/troubleshoot/gas_wiring-guide_smaller_3.pdf but that is for a different type of boiler, also can't find anything on it that has a 3 channel time clock with the underfloor heating

Sounds like a simple enough s plan system with 3 motorized valves HW, UFH, up rads, do you know which underfloor system is being used i.e heatmiser...? And check the resource section of the forum theres plenty of info there about s plan systems, rather than you be given the answer it would be better to try and find the answers and do a little diagram of your own and post it up then members could comment on anything you have missed or drawn up incorrectly. This will see you better for future and give you extra confidmce for future installs.

Thanks lads, have found this drawing on a site, basically my question here is the motorised valves and stats for the underfloor heating wired from the underfloor controls, if so then I would need to change this to a 3 channel time clock to be able to control all 3 separately

image.png

Are there external pumps for both DHW and CH? Depending on how the systems piped the boiler may require a switched live for both CH and HW. If there are external pumps these will have to be wired back to the boiler as well. If your not sure to cover yourself you will need LNE DHW and CH, LNE for CH pump and LNE for HW pump. so that's 11 cores you may possibly need at the boiler. The UFH manifold is more than likely going to have a pump as well which only needs to come on when UFH is calling for heat.

In your situation I would look at using a heatmiser UH4 wiring centre which everything will be wired back to apart from the DHW and CH pump which will be controlled by the boiler.

It depends how the boiler is piped. Is it being piped with just a flow and return with no separate DHW feed? I cant understand the logic of buying a combi boiler and using it like a heat only boiler....

Yea it has to be a system boiler as it has a tank in the hot press, my apologies, as he told me this boiler provided instant hot water I had took it for granted it was a combinbut done a little research there and have learnt a little more about combi, regular and system boilers lol

Heatmiser UH4 is definitely the way to go IMO. No need to use two separate wiring centres then as everything can be wired back to the UH4. Twin and three core and earth to programmer, twin and three core to boiler position, three core and earth to each thermostat position. All the zone valves, UFH pump and cylinder thermostat all connect to UH4.

I would install a rotary isolator next to the outdoor boiler for maintenance purposes.

http://www.theunderfloorheatingcompany.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/UH4.pdf

Heatmiser UH4 is definitely the way to go IMO. No need to use two separate wiring centres then as everything can be wired back to the UH4. Twin and three core and earth to programmer, twin and three core to boiler position, three core and earth to each thermostat position. All the zone valves, UFH pump and cylinder thermostat all connect to UH4.

I would install a rotary isolator next to the outdoor boiler for maintenance purposes.

http://www.theunderfloorheatingcompany.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/UH4.pdf
Only getting around to this job today, been all over the place as last few days, just wanted to clarify before installing cables, on the drawing for the uh4 it only shows a 3core &dearth going to the timeclock but you have stated you would run a 3 core + 2 core and Earth

Reply to Heating help, radiators and underfloor in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net