Discuss Heating switching on regardless in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Oh dear, looks like a bang in the making doesn't it? The blue is an unsleeved switched live, but WTF is that g/y ... now I'm worried :(

I'm probably being optimistic but perhaps they are spare cores that have been earthed?
As all cables entering the heating jb are flexes.
To be honest I can't make out were any of the earths terminate to.

Agree, I will do !
It may be a trick of the pic, but thank you @buzzlightyear for pointing it out :praying:
I haven't changed anything in the wiring centre, just used the trusty 2 pole voltage detector on the terminals. So whatever it is, it's been that way for some time. I've arranged to go back tomorrow morning so next pic might be sooner than I thought. :)

Went back this morning and it turns out the br, bl and g/y in connector 14 that @buzzlightyear spotted was close to a bang. The g/y was an unsecured cpc that was floating about in that connector :eek:. Top left pic shows it where I've just pulled it down away from them. Got rid of those bare links and then noticed many of the flex cables were damaged by cuts. So I went through and fixed them. Replaced the somewhat golden brown pvc flex 1mm that'd been cooked by the 3kW immersion (now high temp 2.5mm flex) and ditched the fcu for a 20A flex outlet and DP sw with some 2.5mm t&e replacing even more 1mm flex :eek:. I'm not happy with the neatness of the wiring centre, but it is safer and easier to see where the cables come from.

Heating switching on regardless IMG_0794.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Nice job :)

What amazes me is just how bad some of these wiring centres can be, and I'm pretty sure I've not seen the worst. If only the people doing them in the first place realised it would be much easier if they made a nice neat job of it to begin with.

Nice crispy cable too... doesn't it crunch when you try and bend it?

Nice job :)

What amazes me is just how bad some of these wiring centres can be, and I'm pretty sure I've not seen the worst. If only the people doing them in the first place realised it would be much easier if they made a nice neat job of it to begin with.

That's because most are plumbers attempts.

The boiler an immersion were running off fcu with 13A fuse using that flex. The flex was stiff and starting to tan, but it hadn't gone crunchy yet. I reckon it was only a matter of time once they turned on the immersion, closed the cupboard and forgot all about it. The new 2.5 will take that all day long if they do it again :)

I'm not sure if I'm seeing correctly, but in that initial picture of the junction box there seems to be an earth wire connected with the blue and brown, I also have to assume that the blue should also be sleeved.

I'm not sure if I'm seeing correctly, but in that initial picture of the junction box there seems to be an earth wire connected with the blue and brown, I also have to assume that the blue should also be sleeved.
Probably :)
Check out post 23 and 29

Reply to Heating switching on regardless in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock