Discuss Heating system question - new build in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

daveb

-
Reaction score
Hello chaps,

I class myself as having good electrical knowledge and good at my job. However, heating systems is something I have little to noooooo experience on. Anyway, I digress....

I've been asked to quote for a new build today and the only thing that fears me is the heating system. From what I can see, each room is having a room thermostat -something I've not seen before. My own house is relitavely new and only has one controller in the downstairs hall.

I suppose my question at this point in the quote comes to what I need to keep in mind for pricing? Ie does each room stat need a three core and Earth run to it back to the hot water tank cupboard where all the manifolds are? What else - a three core from the boiler to the hot water tank cupboard?

Help would be appreciated -go easy on me as the job doesn't go ahead until December so have plenty time to read up on the type of heating system it is and how to connect it but would like to cross the first bridge now re which cables to rough in and to where (to quote for at this stage)

Thanks peeps

Price for a heating supply point in tank cupboard only and state in quote heating supplies tbc with plumber once on site on hourly rate + materials cost.
Dont worry too much about the 1st fix for these systems as theyre reasonably straight forward once you have the correct system wiring diagram to work with.
All the best

Hi mate sound like each room is zoned. So if its having a standard set up you will have a 3core and earth from each thermostat position back to the wiring centre for the corresponding manifold. If all the manifolds, hot water cylinder and boiler are all in the same position it will make your job 100 x easier.

Is this underfloor wet heating system?

You'll need to work/understand what the plumber has in mind. Usally there will be a wiring centre where it all comes together. Its quite simple once you get your head round it. You may need to look at the thermostat requiremetns. I did a monster job recently, using Heatmiser stats and a special controller for the DHW. It all hooked up by WI-FI to a special hub so the client could control it all from his iPAD. There were two UH3 wiring centres and manifold centres (one upstairs and one downstairs). And a pump on each floor.
It needs thinking about how you plan all of the control wires back to the boiler, Megaflo, etc etc.

This sort of thing can add ££ to YOUR cost, and you can lose money, unless you are prepared for it and make provision for it in your quote.

Agreed this sounds as though it's a wet ufh setup?
To be honest these are probably easier than a standard heating setup as the controller boxes are pretty well labelled inside.
Generally a three core and Earth covers most stats. You just have to know where each control box will be sited and then run a five core back to the main cylinder cupboard/boiler location depending on boiler type - combi or standard.
I always teach the young ones to follow the path of the live conductor around the circuit as neutrals and earths generally go together (separately), so only really need to understand the live, heatings are after all just a series of switches.
Anyhow post back when you have more detail.

Hello again guys - and thank you for the great responses. I've had a look at the drawings and you are correct - there is underfloor heating pipes as it calls out on the drawing "
70mm CONCRETE SCREED WITH UNDER FLOOR HEATING ELEMENT"

As far as the layout goes I can confirm hag the boiler is in the utility room and there is also a cupboard off of the hall that houses a HWC (hot water tank??) and a manifold which I'm assuming is for the underfloor heating.

Does this help?

like the guys said, once you break it down its quite straight forward. A three core and earth from the main wiring centre in the heating cupboard to each stat. Everything else, i.e. the cylinder stat, valves, boiler connection and manifold control panel will all be in the cupboard. It looks daunting but its not so bad. If you need advice when you come to do it just ask :thumbsup:

like the guys said, once you break it down its quite straight forward. A three core and earth from the main wiring centre in the heating cupboard to each stat. Everything else, i.e. the cylinder stat, valves, boiler connection and manifold control panel will all be in the cupboard. It looks daunting but its not so bad. If you need advice when you come to do it just ask :thumbsup:

That's great thanks - appreciate the response/ offer and to everyone else's responses. What about the boiler to the HWC? Is this a three core too assuming that I will also provide a separate feed for powering the time clock beside the boiler?

It depends on your tank. If it is a pressurised one (like a Megaflo) there may be an immersion to think about. Also, in those types of tank, there are safety trip switches that you MUST wire in to the DHW control circuitry. This is to stop the cylinder bursting if the water supply goes over temperature.

There will be control valves for the heating and DHW to wire in too. Lots to think about. Have fun!

http://www.theunderfloorheatingcompany.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Heatmiser/UH2 wiring diagram NEW.pdf

You would probably be best purchasing a purpose made UFH wiring centre such as this heatmiser one. Zone four can be used to control an additional zone/radiator circuit so doesn't enable the UFH pump if required by a flick of the switch. Most modern heat only boilers require pump over run so you would need LNE, switch live and pump live. Programmer wiring will depend on if you are using programmable thermostats or standard thermostats.

To expand on post 10.. on an unvented cylinder there is a requirement to have a high limit thermostat which is wired in series with the cylinder temperature thermostat. If you know the make and models of the components like boiler, programmer, thermostats etc I could knock you up a diagram.

http://www.theunderfloorheatingcompany.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Heatmiser/UH2 wiring diagram NEW.pdf

You would probably be best purchasing a purpose made UFH wiring centre such as this heatmiser one. Zone four can be used to control an additional zone/radiator circuit so doesn't enable the UFH pump if required by a flick of the switch. Most modern heat only boilers require pump over run so you would need LNE, switch live and pump live. Programmer wiring will depend on if you are using programmable thermostats or standard thermostats.
Our sponsors do them and forum members get a discount.

Heatmiser - uHeat - http://www.uheat.co.uk/heatmiser/

The last few that I did, all of the UFH materials, including stats, editing centres etc, were supplied by the plumber.
I did the wiring to suit the materials and blamed him for anything that wasn't quite correct!

The last few that I did, all of the UFH materials, including stats, editing centres etc, were supplied by the plumber.
I did the wiring to suit the materials and blamed him for anything that wasn't quite correct!
See the thread in the arms. You get a very good discount from uheat.

Well, the good news is that I'd asked the potential client if he wanted me to quote for the UFH parts and he's said not to quote for this at this stage. Happy days

Thanks all again - I'll be back if I win the job

Reply to Heating system question - new build in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock